Used 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

love it
By zack

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2004 dakota with the 4.7 v8 it has a lot of power towing wise its great i pulled 12,000 pounds and the truck doesn't struggle at all. But i have a problem with the window when you close it it will fall and not go back up dose this happened to a lot of people with this truck? But I can tell you its the best truck so far I had it has 147,000 miles on it and it still runs like a beast. But gas wise it drinks a lot but if you drive on the highway it will do great I drove it to new jersey and I only filled up 3 times and I was pulling a trailer so I can say that its a awesome truck and I love driving it.

Favorite Features

the 4.7 v8 and the leather interior and the room

Suggested Improvements

the window

My used Dakato 2007 v8
By mac

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used and it had probably bee en in a rear end wreck but it didn't impact the car so i didn't care, it has a v8 4.7 and its so far been an awesome truck, i didst expect much but right now for how cheap it was its been a total bargain and its gone tons of power and looks great. The gas mileage is criminal but i use it to haul toys rarely and sometimes to and from work 5 miles so for me its ok, the v8 power doing 80 up hill towing passing the Nissans and toyatas going 45 is awesome.

Favorite Features

v8

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage

65000 mile review
By teejay

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

well i have just payed this baby off and she has just over 65k miles. still running strong. just regular maintenance issues and new tires so far!! now after just purchasing a 19 foot travel trailer i wish i had the v- 8, but hey i will be giving thie truck to my 17 year old son soon and buying me a new quad cap V-8. do you hear me dodge i want a good deal!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

so far good reliability

Suggested Improvements

still want a diesel option in the dakota, but the domestic car companies are too gutless to offer it. it would sell once people realize all of the advantages of a small V-8 vs a gas engine. obviously american ingenuity is dead!!!!!!!

47k mile review
By teejay

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well after 47k miles I thought I needed to write another review. So far this truck has performed like a champ. I do perform my preventative maintenance without exception. I changed the transmission fluid to synthetic @ 36k miles and the rear differential fluid to royal purple synthetic at the same time. I just changed my sparks plugs and cleaned my throttle body. I also put new ceramic breaks pads on @ 40k miles. I hope to get 200k out of it. I also use Mobil one synthetic oil every since 10k miles.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room inside. v-6 has plenty of power, but still gets 22 mpg. glad i didn't get the v-8 now that gas is 4 bucks a gallon!

Suggested Improvements

Like I have been saying for years offer a diesel engine in the Dakota! Maybe even a diesel hybrid that will get 30 mpg. The technology is available, but greed is hindering its development.

The best truck we've owned
By moo

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This Dakota has best the best vehicle we've owned. In July, Savannah, GA flooded and we had to drive through the waters to get home. We have the 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT 2WD pickup. We were one of the only vehicles to make it out of the 4 foot running waters. We owe Dodge for our safety and their reliability.