2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Love my Dakota!
By sixatbat on 06/13/12 10:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I have the 4.7 V-8 with 110k on it and it keeps up with the big trucks with no problem. It handles better than all other trucks I have driven. It's very roomy and I was surprised with the amount of room it has in the back seat with the quad cab! 4x4 is great, I've already pulled out a jeep and an s-10 out of the mud. My only complaint is the fuel milage. I get about 14.5 mpg combined city and highway. It's better than most full size trucks though. If you want a truck that has the compactness of a mid size truck, but the power and capability of a full size truck, get the Dodge Dakota.

love it
By zack on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2004 dakota with the 4.7 v8 it has a lot of power towing wise its great i pulled 12,000 pounds and the truck doesn't struggle at all. But i have a problem with the window when you close it it will fall and not go back up dose this happened to a lot of people with this truck? But I can tell you its the best truck so far I had it has 147,000 miles on it and it still runs like a beast. But gas wise it drinks a lot but if you drive on the highway it will do great I drove it to new jersey and I only filled up 3 times and I was pulling a trailer so I can say that its a awesome truck and I love driving it.

My used Dakato 2007 v8
By mac on 07/26/10 13:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used and it had probably bee en in a rear end wreck but it didn't impact the car so i didn't care, it has a v8 4.7 and its so far been an awesome truck, i didst expect much but right now for how cheap it was its been a total bargain and its gone tons of power and looks great. The gas mileage is criminal but i use it to haul toys rarely and sometimes to and from work 5 miles so for me its ok, the v8 power doing 80 up hill towing passing the Nissans and toyatas going 45 is awesome.

Power Steering Failure
By JNP on 04/09/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

At 55,000 miles, the power steering has failed, just like TAJL's. I'm getting it inspected and I notified the dealer of the problem. I purchased the extended warranty (it has come in handy), so it should be taken care of with a $100 deductible. The cable for the power window failed last year. I shut the door, and the window fell down. Is this a common problem for these trucks?

i luv the dakota
By bravada75 on 11/26/09 10:22 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 04 dakota quad cab 4wd i bought it with 50000 miles now i am at 80000 and it starts like new drives like new it is great i put a boss sport duty 7ft plow and the v-8 has no prob hanging with the big trucks i have a easier time in tight spots and i would recomend this truck because as a mid size truck it is a work horse better then the chevy and ford smal truck all together i love my dakota

65000 mile review
By teejay on 10/13/09 22:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

well i have just payed this baby off and she has just over 65k miles. still running strong. just regular maintenance issues and new tires so far!! now after just purchasing a 19 foot travel trailer i wish i had the v- 8, but hey i will be giving thie truck to my 17 year old son soon and buying me a new quad cap V-8. do you hear me dodge i want a good deal!!!!!!!

steering column
By randm on 06/12/09 05:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I would like to know if any one out there has had a problem with there steering column.I have replaced mine twice in 4 years.any suggestions would help.Or could it be a defect and subject to recall.

First impressions
By Dodger on 04/13/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Just bought my '04 from the orig owner with less than 22K miles on it. 4.7 V- 8, 5 speed auto, optioned out with most everything except for some reason, no power seat. It's a quad cab 2WD with 3.55 antislip rear axle. I've only put about 500 miles on it so far, but can say that I'm impressed with the ride, the engine, everything. Getting 19.5 mpg in mixed city/freeway driving (30/70), and this little 4.7 will flat get out and fly if you want it to. Of course, my reported gas mileage is obtained by using that power sparingly. Exhaust has a resonance right at 1700 rpm (60 mph in 5th) that I don't like; you can sense it in other gears as well as you pass through that rpm.

Pretty neat
By ordinaryguy on 03/02/09 00:53 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've got 48k on mine. Other than a recall for an O2 sensor an a plugged AC filter- no prob. Orig Goodyears still solid. Brakes solid. Fun solid. This thing will haul just about everything and in style. Ride and handling is a lot better than my last GMC. I agree with the quirky tranny shifting. Keep it out of OD in city driving and it will behave better. I get 18 city no problemo after I applied this method. Love the truck!

51k mile review
By teejay1 on 12/25/08 19:37 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well here I am again. After over 4 years of ownership and 51k miles I have to say I still am happy. With the economy in the tank like it is I am most likely going to run this truck till the wheels fall off. I plan on getting 200k maybe even 300k out of it. Skeptical you say? Well I have a car right now with 283k on it and I drive it most everyday. I am a maintenance engineering supervisor for the federal government. So you know that I take care of my stuff and so should you! So far only had to go back to the dealership once, and that was to replace a bad speaker on the passenger side. So not bad so far!