2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
My Blue Beastie the 04 Dakota 4.7 5 speed 4X4.
By warchild_50 on 08/16/14 20:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Before the Canyon and Colorado there was only Dodge's Dakota. I bought mine used since then it has been through the ringer. Still roars when prodded,nimble when needed and a brute in torque that is able to pull the eye teeth out of a medium Dinosaur!! A very capable grocery getter and docile enough to get to church on time.

Love it
By David on 10/15/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Our Dakota is a great medium sized truck. The towing capacity is more then adequate for our little trailer. I know much has been said about the fuel economy of the 3.7 litre but I have to say that we get 20-21 around town ans 24-25 on the highway. We keep it at 65MPH. Do wonder about the OD on the transmission; under 50 and on hills at that speed I feel it performs better with the OD off.Comfortable and solid drive!

2004 dakota club cab V-6
By fred on 08/08/09 07:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Replaced my 1995 Dakota with the 2004 because it had 244k miles and I didn't like the 2005 body style. I now have 116k miles. Replaced water pump, tires x 1. Still have original battery! Love it but regret not keeping the 95 (the guy I sold it to ran it into the ground) and buying a durango for the covered cargo area for luggage and groceries.

Engine Replacement
By roguedogg420 on 03/26/08 03:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I can't believe that no one else mentioned this. After 16,000 the check engine light came on...brought the truck back to the dealership who told me the head was cracked. Ordered a new head (took a month) and it was replaced. 2 days later check engine light is back on and vehicle has no compression. Engine had to be replaced (took a month because they were on backorder due to several similar cases). New engine has a constant ticking sound. Saw another Dakota owner who told me the SAME THING HAPPENED TO HIS!!! 2 Dakotas in the same area!!!

Couldn't be happier
By Happy Mopar Owner on 11/09/07 08:30 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck 4 years ago and haven't had one single problem in 25,000 miles. Not a hiccup! This truck has great power and excellent interior size. I get compliments all the time on the power and overall build quality of this truck. It does ride like a truck, duh, but it's a solid ride that inspires confidence. This truck also handles corners with ease, it's even a 4 wheel drive! I would love to try out a R/T version!! My dad has an Avalanche and I would take this truck over his any day...so would he! The Dakota also does great offroad, I've been wheelin a lot in this truck. The only bad thing is gas mileage, but it's a V8 and I have a little lower gearing. It's a truck!

Great for trailer towing & fun
By larry Maddox on 03/23/06 15:48 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I have a 26-ft travel trailer we pull 4-5,000 miles per year. This truck is great. Also, driving around town is fun. No mechanichal problems or warranty issues. This truck is our 4th Dakota and we plan to have many more.

Great truck, buy the extra warranty
By Mike Jewett on 02/06/06 20:40 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Everything about the truck, performance-wise, is top-notch. Power, handling, towing, cargo capacity, etc. MPG is 12-15, but it's a truck, not a Camry. Easier to park than a full-size, but hauls just as much. 4x4 works great, even if the ground clearance is minimal. The only things to consider before buying are cost issues, namely gas and maintenance. It weighs 4500LBS, so you'll replace brake pads every 25K. Fill up the tank every 200 -250mi. Also, find a nice 5-star dealer. I've seen a lot of reviews knocking Dodge dealers, and, just like any business, some will be good, some will be lame. Also, it's really worth it to roll an 85K warranty into your finance plan.

Dakota
By dsatlle on 08/23/05 00:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Overall, the vehicle is about what I expected. When traveling over bumps or potholes the vehicle jumps off the front tires. it feels really dangerous so I'm not happy with the way it handles.The passenger seat does not recline to a comfortable position on long trips, not even half way to 180 degrees, it can be quite uncomfortable. The brakes started squeaking at about 16,000 miles and I have not had them checked, hoping that the dust works itself out without the dealer arming and legging me to take care of it. BTW, I bought a oil change coupon book from the dealer and they are always wanting to do unnecessary work, so beware. Other than oil changes I have done no other maintenance.

Can't go wrong here...
By Anchorsaweigh on 05/23/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Stepped down from a 2001 Ram 1500 4X4 to something that wouldn't cost me $100 per week in gas. Runs quiet, smooth, and handles very well. Smooth shifting and transitioning to 4WD. Dash layout and ergonomics well thought out. Excellent fuel economy, although I had expected better. But, 20MPG sure beats the heck out of 11MPG any day of the week. The 3.7L V-6 has a lot of pep and powers up when you need it. I would recommend this vehicle.

great
By Craig N. Roberts on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck i have Ever Bought