Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Most Helpful|
Love it
By David

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Our Dakota is a great medium sized truck. The towing capacity is more then adequate for our little trailer. I know much has been said about the fuel economy of the 3.7 litre but I have to say that we get 20-21 around town ans 24-25 on the highway. We keep it at 65MPH. Do wonder about the OD on the transmission; under 50 and on hills at that speed I feel it performs better with the OD off.Comfortable and solid drive!

My Blue Beastie the 04 Dakota 4.7 5 speed 4X4.
By warchild_50

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Before the Canyon and Colorado there was only Dodge's Dakota. I bought mine used since then it has been through the ringer. Still roars when prodded,nimble when needed and a brute in torque that is able to pull the eye teeth out of a medium Dinosaur!! A very capable grocery getter and docile enough to get to church on time.

Favorite Features

Powerful 4.7 Magnum mod motor, gobs of torque. Gas MPG is what else poor to wow are you kidding me!! Hey it IS a truck,yes? Shift with locking the hubs yippeee!! 5 Speed is silky smooth though highway noise comes through loud and clear.

Suggested Improvements

Better noise quiting. Do the back of the cab have doors now, they should. Maybe a Pre-runner type would be offered.

great
By Craig N. Roberts

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck i have Ever Bought

Dodge.....trucks for real men
By Sgt. Rock

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This truck begins with outstanding street looks and a size that will fool the unschooled into thinking it is a full-size truck. Pull up to a chevy full size regular cab and you even have him thinking that his truck has shrunk. Open the door, sit in the driver's bucket seat and turn the key. The 4.7 V-Eight begins to talk to you and rumble...ahhhhh how I love the sound. You put it in gear and its like a big dog pulling you faster than you want to go. All 230 horses are just waiting impatiently to be let loose. Forget Toyota.........this is really OH WHAT A FEELING...................

Favorite Features

Looks, power, comfort, size, the Dakota has it all.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back a 360 CI and beef up the drive train...........bring back the R/T....................PLEASE!!!!!

Dakota
By dsatlle

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Overall, the vehicle is about what I expected. When traveling over bumps or potholes the vehicle jumps off the front tires. it feels really dangerous so I'm not happy with the way it handles.The passenger seat does not recline to a comfortable position on long trips, not even half way to 180 degrees, it can be quite uncomfortable. The brakes started squeaking at about 16,000 miles and I have not had them checked, hoping that the dust works itself out without the dealer arming and legging me to take care of it. BTW, I bought a oil change coupon book from the dealer and they are always wanting to do unnecessary work, so beware. Other than oil changes I have done no other maintenance.

Favorite Features

Feels like you're in a cockpit with a small windshield. Nice simple interior dash.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the comfort of the seats by allowing them to FULLY recline.