Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

My Blue Beastie the 04 Dakota 4.7 5 speed 4X4.
By warchild_50

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Before the Canyon and Colorado there was only Dodge's Dakota. I bought mine used since then it has been through the ringer. Still roars when prodded,nimble when needed and a brute in torque that is able to pull the eye teeth out of a medium Dinosaur!! A very capable grocery getter and docile enough to get to church on time.

Favorite Features

Powerful 4.7 Magnum mod motor, gobs of torque. Gas MPG is what else poor to wow are you kidding me!! Hey it IS a truck,yes? Shift with locking the hubs yippeee!! 5 Speed is silky smooth though highway noise comes through loud and clear.

Suggested Improvements

Better noise quiting. Do the back of the cab have doors now, they should. Maybe a Pre-runner type would be offered.

Love it
By David

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Our Dakota is a great medium sized truck. The towing capacity is more then adequate for our little trailer. I know much has been said about the fuel economy of the 3.7 litre but I have to say that we get 20-21 around town ans 24-25 on the highway. We keep it at 65MPH. Do wonder about the OD on the transmission; under 50 and on hills at that speed I feel it performs better with the OD off.Comfortable and solid drive!

2004 dakota club cab V-6
By fred

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Replaced my 1995 Dakota with the 2004 because it had 244k miles and I didn't like the 2005 body style. I now have 116k miles. Replaced water pump, tires x 1. Still have original battery! Love it but regret not keeping the 95 (the guy I sold it to ran it into the ground) and buying a durango for the covered cargo area for luggage and groceries.

Favorite Features

appearance, styling, paint (like new), galvanized sheet metal carrying capacity/utility - livestock, manure, straw, hay, top soil, mulch, furniture, appliances, lumber, drywall, etc. fuel economy - 21mpg by finding best route and using cruise control extensively heated electric mirrors

Suggested Improvements

dump the black carpeting and dark upholstery -- it always looks dirty! improve the auto-dimming rear view mirror - the old prismatic mirror does a better job shut down a couple of cylinders when cruising at highway speeds and not hauling cargo/trailer

Engine Replacement
By roguedogg420

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I can't believe that no one else mentioned this. After 16,000 the check engine light came on...brought the truck back to the dealership who told me the head was cracked. Ordered a new head (took a month) and it was replaced. 2 days later check engine light is back on and vehicle has no compression. Engine had to be replaced (took a month because they were on backorder due to several similar cases). New engine has a constant ticking sound. Saw another Dakota owner who told me the SAME THING HAPPENED TO HIS!!! 2 Dakotas in the same area!!!

Favorite Features

Always liked the Dakotas, this is my 3rd one but will be very wary about getting another.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage, more comfortable seats, more room in the back.

Couldn't be happier
By Happy Mopar Owner

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck 4 years ago and haven't had one single problem in 25,000 miles. Not a hiccup! This truck has great power and excellent interior size. I get compliments all the time on the power and overall build quality of this truck. It does ride like a truck, duh, but it's a solid ride that inspires confidence. This truck also handles corners with ease, it's even a 4 wheel drive! I would love to try out a R/T version!! My dad has an Avalanche and I would take this truck over his any day...so would he! The Dakota also does great offroad, I've been wheelin a lot in this truck. The only bad thing is gas mileage, but it's a V8 and I have a little lower gearing. It's a truck!

Favorite Features

V8! I have the 3.92 gears so there's a little more pep in it's step! A ton, and I mean a ton of torque.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing with Dodge, I just wish there were available lift kits for the 4x4 model. They only have body lifts unless you want to spend upwards of $2000!