2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
My Blue Beastie the 04 Dakota 4.7 5 speed 4X4.
By warchild_50 on 08/16/14 20:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Before the Canyon and Colorado there was only Dodge's Dakota. I bought mine used since then it has been through the ringer. Still roars when prodded,nimble when needed and a brute in torque that is able to pull the eye teeth out of a medium Dinosaur!! A very capable grocery getter and docile enough to get to church on time.

Love my Dakota!
By sixatbat on 06/13/12 10:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I have the 4.7 V-8 with 110k on it and it keeps up with the big trucks with no problem. It handles better than all other trucks I have driven. It's very roomy and I was surprised with the amount of room it has in the back seat with the quad cab! 4x4 is great, I've already pulled out a jeep and an s-10 out of the mud. My only complaint is the fuel milage. I get about 14.5 mpg combined city and highway. It's better than most full size trucks though. If you want a truck that has the compactness of a mid size truck, but the power and capability of a full size truck, get the Dodge Dakota.

love it
By zack on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2004 dakota with the 4.7 v8 it has a lot of power towing wise its great i pulled 12,000 pounds and the truck doesn't struggle at all. But i have a problem with the window when you close it it will fall and not go back up dose this happened to a lot of people with this truck? But I can tell you its the best truck so far I had it has 147,000 miles on it and it still runs like a beast. But gas wise it drinks a lot but if you drive on the highway it will do great I drove it to new jersey and I only filled up 3 times and I was pulling a trailer so I can say that its a awesome truck and I love driving it.

My Dakota
By Mike B on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought trk new, no major problems, fun to drive, water pump replaced but thats it, replaced the rotors and pads at 70,000 miles, installed vented and cross drilled rotors and pads , big diff in stopping,

My used Dakato 2007 v8
By mac on 07/26/10 13:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used and it had probably bee en in a rear end wreck but it didn't impact the car so i didn't care, it has a v8 4.7 and its so far been an awesome truck, i didst expect much but right now for how cheap it was its been a total bargain and its gone tons of power and looks great. The gas mileage is criminal but i use it to haul toys rarely and sometimes to and from work 5 miles so for me its ok, the v8 power doing 80 up hill towing passing the Nissans and toyatas going 45 is awesome.

Power Steering Failure
By JNP on 04/09/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

At 55,000 miles, the power steering has failed, just like TAJL's. I'm getting it inspected and I notified the dealer of the problem. I purchased the extended warranty (it has come in handy), so it should be taken care of with a $100 deductible. The cable for the power window failed last year. I shut the door, and the window fell down. Is this a common problem for these trucks?

Power steering 2004 Dodge Dakota 2004
By TAJL on 03/17/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

At 53,000 miles the power steering has gone out, I have been told it will cost between $450.00 and $1500. If both p/s pump and rack are shot. I feel with only 53,000 miles and all the problems I have seen on the Internet this problem should be taken care of by the factory.

i luv the dakota
By bravada75 on 11/26/09 10:22 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 04 dakota quad cab 4wd i bought it with 50000 miles now i am at 80000 and it starts like new drives like new it is great i put a boss sport duty 7ft plow and the v-8 has no prob hanging with the big trucks i have a easier time in tight spots and i would recomend this truck because as a mid size truck it is a work horse better then the chevy and ford smal truck all together i love my dakota

Love it
By David on 10/15/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Our Dakota is a great medium sized truck. The towing capacity is more then adequate for our little trailer. I know much has been said about the fuel economy of the 3.7 litre but I have to say that we get 20-21 around town ans 24-25 on the highway. We keep it at 65MPH. Do wonder about the OD on the transmission; under 50 and on hills at that speed I feel it performs better with the OD off.Comfortable and solid drive!

65000 mile review
By teejay on 10/13/09 22:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

well i have just payed this baby off and she has just over 65k miles. still running strong. just regular maintenance issues and new tires so far!! now after just purchasing a 19 foot travel trailer i wish i had the v- 8, but hey i will be giving thie truck to my 17 year old son soon and buying me a new quad cap V-8. do you hear me dodge i want a good deal!!!!!!!