Used 2003 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Scared Me
By John

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck had a road hop that I couldn't overcome.Living on back roads,going up hills it would start to wheel hop either right or left. At interstate speeds, the steering was strange, it would drift and a slight adjustment at times would over correct and scare the heck out of me. I had a 93 Dakota and never had these problems with that truck.

Great off road capabilities

Suspension needs a complete rework, seats are not very comfortable. If you want a good off roader, buy one but I suggest staying off Interstates with it.

Excellent Exciting Truck
By D. m.

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I love the 4wd option for heavy snow days and off the main road 2-tracks, as well as pulling trailers through muddy roads. With the 4.7 v8, we have plenty of power to pass on 2 lane highways and for towing my large tandem trailer. We have not had any bad mechanical surprises, only simple recalls for trivial stuff, nothing serious. My garden tractor fits in the box, if I take off the mower deck and stick it in by itself after putting the tractor in. So much to say and so little space. The ride is like a car and the view and trip computer contribute to the excellent driving experience.

1-on the fly 4wd with just a turn of a switch on the dash, no big gearshift handles to deal with. 2-the powerful 4.7 v8 that never slows when baha-ing or towing. 3-the pwr drivers' seat that makes it more comfy with my bad back. 4- overhead compass + trip computer. 5- 4doors, large cab, seating for 5.

More under seat storage and more storage behind and under back seat. Integrated tool box under truck, for chains, tools, cum-a-longs, pulleys, emergency lanterns and inverters .

Not a Snow Queen
By wayne bahlieda

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Owned for a year and one half and found vehicle to be impractical. It basically is a two seater. Selected the 2 wheel drive option with traction control. Compared to a front wheel drive vehicle, the vehicle had poor traction in fresh snow or on ice. The icing on the cake was the poor gas mileage. Traded the vehicle for a PT Crusier.

Exterior looks and good starting capabilities in minus 40 below temperatures.

Need to improve rear access to back seat. Gas mileage, considering it is a 6 cylinder. Also noted a howling sound at high speeds on the highway.

Good till the last drop
By spookctr

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought in October and loved it from the start. Good room inside and out. First week I had it I took it to New Jersey with 3 passengers and not a hitch. In december wen from maryland to minnesota it more comfortable than my car was. Coming back brought home a few thousand dollars worth of baby furniture no noticable performance drops and it handled the worse weather that mother nature could throw at it. Good all around even with the base engine and 4 speed auto-transmission. Oh yeah, fit both a infant carrier and a toddler seat in the back seat. Let me see you do that with even some fullsize trucks let alone any other compact trucks.

interior room, cockpit accomidations, ride, handling, just about everything else I can think of

still workin on it

2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
By rembrandt121

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 1992 Dakota le Extended cab before this 2003 and the improvements are very noticable. The handeling is dramatically improved. The rack and pinion steering coupled with the improved suspension makes this truck handle like a sports car among trucks. The 4.7 V8 has more than enough power to handle most jobs. It doesn't get the best fuel mileage in the industry but it doesn't get the worst either. This truck is fun to drive and can burn up the roads if needed.

Favorite features include: am/fm/cassette/cd Infinity sound system, optional 265/70/16 tires(I suggest you opt for those)

Make the oil filter easier to access,more paint options,put the HEMI in the Dakota.