2003 Dakota Sport Plus
By Dusty on
2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)
The Dakota has been a great truck with lots of power, a smooth drivetrain, rugged and reliable that remains quiet and comfortable. It is larger than models from Nissan and Toyota and that was the deciding factor in my purchase. It functions as a part time personal and work vehicle and does both more than adequately. My year-to-date fuel mileage is 16.82 and I can consistently get 20mpg carrying 900 lbs. of ATV and additional gear in the summertime. The 4.7 has excellent low end torque which I appreciate on hills and for towing. Mine has been reliable, with two recalls and one heater blower resistor failure. No rattles or squeaks after five years!
Favorite Features
Power, low end torque. Very smooth and positive automatic transmission. Good handling and excellent driver position. Nice interior without being gaudy. Paint is smooth and s very scratch resistant. Really stiff frame. Long bed length. Better looking than new Dakota.
Suggested Improvements
Handling could be more crisp. Defroster could be more effective in rainy weather. A great design with few faults.