2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Great Truck
By A Person on 08/02/09 21:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first dodge. I bought it off a guy who put 130,000 miles on it. He drove on the highway to get to work every day, and he dropped the fluids religiously. The only issue I've had with this beast is that I had to replace the water pump (expected for mileage). Since I've got it, I've abused and pushed it past its limit, and it doesn't stutter. You tell it to do something, it'll go. Handles like a car.

Good all around truck
By avyator on 04/13/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck new and have had a blast with it. It has the Stampede package which caught my eye on the dealer parking lot. Bought it for fuel economy over my 79 Warlock and it has delivered promised fuel economy, 18 mpg for the daily 7 mile commute and 22 mpg on my annual trip to FL. The Stampede package really enhances the handling and styling. I tow two motorcycles regularly from state to state and the drive train is solid. Have 61,000 miles and have only had to do routine maintenance. Battery did quit suddenly at 5 years but that's about what you get from factory batteries. Wish I had gotten the extended cab but the styling didn't go with the Stampede package. Love this truck!!!

Gas hog
By Tim on 08/10/08 15:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Dakota 4x4 standard cab 2 years ago. Boy what a mistake. This thing sucks gas so fast you can watch the gauge move about 13 mpg in the city. I had a 1990 Dakota and it was a fine truck so had no problems buying this one until I got it home. I am 6,3" tall and have no room to move in it, it's pretty but not a good deal. So far the battery, water pump muffler and tires have all taken leave, also the center caps that come with the wheels will not stay on had to get the chrome ones that Dodge has replaced them with. I drive this truck back and forth to work (22 miles a day) thats all I can afford at $4.00 a gallon and go through $40-50 a week. Poor in snow.

fuel economy
By shaun l on 04/09/08 00:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I noticed right away I wasn't getting the proper fuel economy I thought I should get which was 12 city 15 hwy. I made some timing adjustments and a basic tune up, in 4 years the best hwy mpg I've gotten was 18 mpg. Don't expect any more than that. Another problem I've encountered is severe wheel hop at hwy speeds, it almost jumps off the road when you hit a bump. Very very unsafe. FYI... don't forget the change your ball joints, if they haven't already gone out, they will!

2003 Dakota SXT Regular Cab
By consultfirst on 10/03/06 20:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Fun truck to drive with the 5-speed manual transmission. Truck is perfect size between compact and full size. Too bad they stopped making the regular cab version.

'03 Dakota
By tommy on 08/05/06 09:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our '03 Dakota Reg. Cab SXT RWD for $13K. It was a nice "beater" car for my dad for work. But we have clocked on average of 12-15 mpg city and probably 19 highway. We had to replace the tires at 20k and then again and 45k. We were in a minor car accident with it where we tapped the back of another car on a freeway ramp, and it caused $400 damage. The plastic hood-release lever, broke off and had to get it replaced. The A/C conked out when he had 100-degree plus weather, which we took the repair shop and he found out that not only the cooling pump was shot but there was a cylinder- 6 miss-fire which could've been dangerous if it died on the highway.

2003 Dakota SXT
By GT on 07/20/06 07:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck. Had over three years with no problems in 28,900 miles. Original brakes and tires. Decent gas mileage for a 2WD, approximately 19-21 MPG on the highway.

Scared Me
By John on 01/27/06 10:46 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck had a road hop that I couldn't overcome.Living on back roads,going up hills it would start to wheel hop either right or left. At interstate speeds, the steering was strange, it would drift and a slight adjustment at times would over correct and scare the heck out of me. I had a 93 Dakota and never had these problems with that truck.

I love this little son of a gun
By sharkraider552 on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

love this truck. drives like a dream, mine has the stampede package and i love it, can't say how meany comments people has said they loved the way the truck looks the inside is right on center console is really big if uhad o could hide a body in there dodge stole this ford lover and turned him into a dodge guy for now on

NICE LITTLE TRUCK
By SMOKEY-2 on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I ALWAYS HAD DODGE TRUCKS, THIS 2003 DAKOTA WITH THE V6 AUTOMATIC IS A GOOD LITTLE TRUCK. GOOD POWER, EASY TO PARK AND I REALLY LIKE THE 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES. THE BASE MODEL HAS A NICE SIZE INTERIOR WITH CLOTH BENCH SEAT.