Used 2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Great Truck
By A Person

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first dodge. I bought it off a guy who put 130,000 miles on it. He drove on the highway to get to work every day, and he dropped the fluids religiously. The only issue I've had with this beast is that I had to replace the water pump (expected for mileage). Since I've got it, I've abused and pushed it past its limit, and it doesn't stutter. You tell it to do something, it'll go. Handles like a car.

5 speed manual. Gives you more control, especially when towing trailers down hills.

Gas mileage for a v6 stinks in the city, A/C does not seem to be a factor. I've gotten 21.5 on the highway though.

Good all around truck
By avyator

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck new and have had a blast with it. It has the Stampede package which caught my eye on the dealer parking lot. Bought it for fuel economy over my 79 Warlock and it has delivered promised fuel economy, 18 mpg for the daily 7 mile commute and 22 mpg on my annual trip to FL. The Stampede package really enhances the handling and styling. I tow two motorcycles regularly from state to state and the drive train is solid. Have 61,000 miles and have only had to do routine maintenance. Battery did quit suddenly at 5 years but that's about what you get from factory batteries. Wish I had gotten the extended cab but the styling didn't go with the Stampede package. Love this truck!!!

Styling, handling, fuel economy, cab layout with center console.

Fix the center caps on the wheels, they keep falling off. Don't like the chrome caps Dodge sells as replacements. Had to make my own carbon fiber spring to keep the stock caps from falling off.

Gas hog
By Tim

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Dakota 4x4 standard cab 2 years ago. Boy what a mistake. This thing sucks gas so fast you can watch the gauge move about 13 mpg in the city. I had a 1990 Dakota and it was a fine truck so had no problems buying this one until I got it home. I am 6,3" tall and have no room to move in it, it's pretty but not a good deal. So far the battery, water pump muffler and tires have all taken leave, also the center caps that come with the wheels will not stay on had to get the chrome ones that Dodge has replaced them with. I drive this truck back and forth to work (22 miles a day) thats all I can afford at $4.00 a gallon and go through $40-50 a week. Poor in snow.

Looks, it's good looking

bigger interior, better gas mileage

fuel economy
By shaun l

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I noticed right away I wasn't getting the proper fuel economy I thought I should get which was 12 city 15 hwy. I made some timing adjustments and a basic tune up, in 4 years the best hwy mpg I've gotten was 18 mpg. Don't expect any more than that. Another problem I've encountered is severe wheel hop at hwy speeds, it almost jumps off the road when you hit a bump. Very very unsafe. FYI... don't forget the change your ball joints, if they haven't already gone out, they will!

Shift on the fly 4x4, and four wheel limited slip differentials. Best thing dodge did. It sold the truck for me.

Better fuel economy. Standard cd player. Different suspension set-up.

2003 Dakota SXT Regular Cab
By consultfirst

2003 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Fun truck to drive with the 5-speed manual transmission. Truck is perfect size between compact and full size. Too bad they stopped making the regular cab version.

5-speed manual transmission makes it fun to drive.

Cab needs a little more room for 6- footers.