2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Fast Truck
By OneCoolGi on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab R/T Rwd SB (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Put on many good miles on this truck with next to zero problems. The worst problem I have had was a radiator leak. Engine and trans are solid. This truck is fast and handles great. It can take a corner at 55mph. I moved from San Diego to NJ towing 3k lbs, averaged 80 mph and the truck felt like there was nothing there. It took on mountains like flat terrain. Great truck!

nice truck
By BILL on 10/25/09 21:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is a nice truck, inside and out. On rough rodes the front end tends to bounce in one direction. I have the V-6 in my truck and it seems to be under powered. The ride is nice.

Blue
By BOB on 08/27/09 21:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

well its very reliable, but theres no weight in the back, its only summer and it spins on gravel. and the trans slips hope theres a recall soon

Awesome Silver R/T w. orange stripes
By silverrt03 on 06/02/09 13:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab R/T Rwd SB (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I can honestly say I think my truck is awesome. It majorly burns rubber. 360 V8 kicks major rump. Since there were a limited amount of these for the last official R/T i am proud to own one. Leather seats, another rarity are very comfortable. Infinity sound system awesome dude. the only bad point is that my truck only gets about 13 miles per gallon on average. in the city try 10mpg. Other than that i really like my Dakota.

Friday afternoon off the assembly line
By Ken on 12/05/08 19:22 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Nice truck, but at 31k the tranny would lock in 2nd gear (they called it limp mode) any time it went through a large puddle. Replaced 2 sensors several times to no avail. Dealer stopped covering the replacements after the third event. They contacted Dodge in 2007 and told if the sensors lose sight of the ground, they do this to avoid an overspeed. Told them to bypass the sensors all together, seemed to work. However, in 6 years it went through 2 wiper motors, 2 blower relays, the tail gate failed twice, seat broke once and it leaked (they tried to fix that twice). Guess it was the Friday pm one. Anyway, traded it in the day I got the title. Have a Tacoma now.

Northeast Driving
By YanksSck on 05/25/08 17:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I inherited an 03 Dakota 2 years ago. I live in the Northeast and not having 4WD pretty much just doesn't work out. It gets stuck every time there is more than 3 inches of snow on the ground, and slides all over the place in any snow or ice (which is pretty much 3 full months a year). Piling weight in the back just doesn't seem to help. The fuel economy is terrible for a 2wd vehicle, my count is about 18 mph highway at best but i have got as little as 8 city. The Truck would be fine in a snow less region, but if you live in a cold climate look elsewhere. You can get much more traction power without sacrificing too much in MPG.

Big red truck
By suzanne webb on 02/18/08 16:57 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Very dependable. Lots of fun to drive. Great load capacity. Did not think I would like a truck but this one is great.

2003 Dakota Sport Plus
By Dusty on 03/07/07 15:02 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

The Dakota has been a great truck with lots of power, a smooth drivetrain, rugged and reliable that remains quiet and comfortable. It is larger than models from Nissan and Toyota and that was the deciding factor in my purchase. It functions as a part time personal and work vehicle and does both more than adequately. My year-to-date fuel mileage is 16.82 and I can consistently get 20mpg carrying 900 lbs. of ATV and additional gear in the summertime. The 4.7 has excellent low end torque which I appreciate on hills and for towing. Mine has been reliable, with two recalls and one heater blower resistor failure. No rattles or squeaks after five years!

4x4 3.9 Dodge Dakota, What a Joke
By chris on 05/25/06 19:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

By far the worst pickup truck I've ever owned up to this date. From the second I drove it off the lot there was nothing but problems with my 2003 Dodge Dakota. The list is unfortunatly too long to list everything. Let's just say that now I'm having problems with my airbag! Like I said, everything wrong with it. This is a poor excuse for a 4x4. Absolutely no power to the tiny 3.9 lawnmower engine it has. Transmission makes the engine race and yet never pulls into gear. And let's not forget that when driving it constantly feels like you're dragging an anchor.

Not a Snow Queen
By wayne bahlieda on 01/21/05 14:59 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Owned for a year and one half and found vehicle to be impractical. It basically is a two seater. Selected the 2 wheel drive option with traction control. Compared to a front wheel drive vehicle, the vehicle had poor traction in fresh snow or on ice. The icing on the cake was the poor gas mileage. Traded the vehicle for a PT Crusier.