2003 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
I Love My Dodge
By Step Col on 06/06/10 12:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I love driving my Dodge Dakota! If I had to buy another truck it would be a Dodge 6 cylinder! My only complaints are thay could have a little more seat padding, bigger glove compartment, more under backseat storage and better gas mileage! Also being better able to see lighted up dash area and radio information when the headlights are turned on and more room underneath the light between the sun visors.

Best Truck I Ever Had
By Ken S on 04/23/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Sharp Looking ( RED ) Very Comfortable, No Problems just Standard Maintenance, Decent Mileage with 4.7 V8, 16 around Town 22 on trips

Favorite Vehicle of all Time
By Jim on 12/22/09 10:02 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 5.9L engine and do not have 4WD so I get top of the range MPG 17 Not good but over all this is a great truck. Functional and striking good looks. I have kept the scheduled maintenance and have done nothing more to it...100% reliable. Have had two instances when I wish I had 4WD while moving around new construction site on wet ground...poor traction on RWD

Avoid 4.7 V8 engine!!!
By Stein on 06/02/09 09:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my truck for almost 6 years and have loved it until now. Over the past 6 months I've had to replace thermostat (not a huge deal) then the radiator and now I'm told the 4.7 V8 engine has a possible blown head gasket with only 88,000 miles. After finding this out I've read NUMEROUS accounts of the same problem with this engine.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT+ 2WD 3.9L
By stevew on 06/07/07 02:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

The Dodge Dakota has been a great truck for me. I originally had a '90 Dakota that was still running great at 230,000 miles. Then I joined the Marine Corps and bought the '03 Quad Cab. The only problem I've had with it was a crack in a rubber hose for the fuel EVAP emissions system - a simple inexpensive repair. After sitting in a parking lot for 7 months while I was in Iraq (twice), it ran perfectly for me when I returned (as well as after 2 one month trips to AZ.) It gets me 18 MPG (mixed) and has reached 20MPG (hwy) several times. Bottom line - I love it! I see myself driving this 1 for years to come and probably nothing but Dakotas for the rest of my life.

Dakota drives and tows just fine
By gretjns on 08/14/06 12:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 Dakota new and have used it to tow a pop-up camper (3500-4000lbs) all over the midwest and points N&S. Minimal & routine service until 60k miles when f&r main seals had to be replaced along with AC head, thermostat, and a front wheel bearing which was loose. Otherwise it's been a dream. Drives great, lots of interior room and cargo capacity. Handles well and looks great. Extended warranty is a lifesaver. I'll buy another when I wear this one out.

Best "Compact" truck around
By Godzirrah on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've Had it for three weeks now and besides being my everyday commuting vehicle (with kids in car seats) it tows my 20' boat famously. I own the V8 4.7L 2wd. I call my truch the baby bear truck as it fits all my everyday needs "just right"...I test drove all others on the market and the Dodge blows away the Tacoma, Frontier and Colorado. The closest was the Tundra but tons more cabin room with the Dodge at a lot less price.

Dakota Quad/SLT+/4.7 with 5-45FRE Tranny
By Deselfitter on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Well behaved truck with good size ~not too large and not too small. This Dakota is a pleasure to drive around town and short trips. I am looking forward to longer trips when warm weather arrives. Fuel economy is close to EPA estimates, about 14 in towm and 19 highway. I expect further improvement with more miles.

2003 Dakota QC 2WD 4.7L 5-45RFE
By Proud Dak QC Owner on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent truck after 4,500 miles. Other than for minor paint imperfections in the a few areas, there has been no problems. This unit has an automatic transmission with 3.92 drive ratio; hence, harder on gas than with a 3.55 ratio. IMHO, wish the option of the Power Tech 4.7L HO engine was available. Price of added options are a little high.

my truck
By julian on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

it is the best truck i've owned.the power is unbeliveable,i drive the one with the 4.7 liter V-8.i tow my 7x14 trailer with no problem and also my two kids and wife aslo can enjoy the (TRUCK) as we call it do to it's comfort all i have left to say is i love my truck!