Used 2003 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Most Helpful|
4x4 3.9 Dodge Dakota, What a Joke
By chris

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

By far the worst pickup truck I've ever owned up to this date. From the second I drove it off the lot there was nothing but problems with my 2003 Dodge Dakota. The list is unfortunatly too long to list everything. Let's just say that now I'm having problems with my airbag! Like I said, everything wrong with it. This is a poor excuse for a 4x4. Absolutely no power to the tiny 3.9 lawnmower engine it has. Transmission makes the engine race and yet never pulls into gear. And let's not forget that when driving it constantly feels like you're dragging an anchor.

Favorite Features

The fact that I'm getting rid of it

Gas hog
By Tim

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Dakota 4x4 standard cab 2 years ago. Boy what a mistake. This thing sucks gas so fast you can watch the gauge move about 13 mpg in the city. I had a 1990 Dakota and it was a fine truck so had no problems buying this one until I got it home. I am 6,3" tall and have no room to move in it, it's pretty but not a good deal. So far the battery, water pump muffler and tires have all taken leave, also the center caps that come with the wheels will not stay on had to get the chrome ones that Dodge has replaced them with. I drive this truck back and forth to work (22 miles a day) thats all I can afford at $4.00 a gallon and go through $40-50 a week. Poor in snow.

Favorite Features

Looks, it's good looking

Suggested Improvements

bigger interior, better gas mileage

no power and bad gas milage
By eric doukas

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

not very happy with this truck wish i never bought it

Can't wait to trade
By dellorto

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it as a 2001 in late 2000. 4 months later, 3 trips to dlr to correct bad suspension bushings. Gas economy horrible. Brake discs failed 2X in first 12K miles.Transfer case failed in woods at inopportune time,1000 to repair @49K miles. Rear end now clunks and noticable vibration at highway since repair, dealer says it's ok. Still has loud graunch over modest bumps, now has loud rattles in suspension over small bumps. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Scared Me
By John

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck had a road hop that I couldn't overcome.Living on back roads,going up hills it would start to wheel hop either right or left. At interstate speeds, the steering was strange, it would drift and a slight adjustment at times would over correct and scare the heck out of me. I had a 93 Dakota and never had these problems with that truck.

Favorite Features

Great off road capabilities

Suggested Improvements

Suspension needs a complete rework, seats are not very comfortable. If you want a good off roader, buy one but I suggest staying off Interstates with it.