2002 Dodge Dakota Consumer Review: Horrendous Update

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Review

Horrendous Update
By Bill Sohonage on

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is an update. Bought for 9k with 27k on it, Dec."07". 51k motor goes PING, bearings and crank need replaced. Despite meticulous attention and mobi1 1. One k over 50k warranty and dealer laughs at me. I replace crank and bearings myself, lasts another 8k and motor goes again. Replace with 30k junkyard motor and two weeks later tranny goes! In 30k miles, I've also replaced, AC Compressor, full exhaust, front hubs, power steering hoses, starter (twice!), brakes, rotors and needed to replace with over sized brake pins as the originals were worn and too loose! 4 Oxygen sensors... Oh,lets not forget the fan control module under glove box which caught fire. AHHHH

Favorite Features

Is it the serpentine belts that it seems to eat at 57 bucks a pop...or the crappy 3.9 motors I've gotten so good at changing...No I guess its the tailgate cables that are made of some special metal that rusts out more quickly then scientifically possible. Its a truly remarkable piece of garbage!

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the 3.9 motor and 46 RE transmission and pledge never to sell to unsuspecting public ever again. This truck was designed to keep transmission shops and engine re-builders in business! The tranny shops say it is their bread and butter!