Horrible Mileage then Blown Engine!
By Bill on
2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)
I bought this vehicle at a Dodge Dealership used for $9k with 27k on it. Changed my oil to Mobil 1 upon purchase, and regularly at 3k intervals. Worst truck I have ever owned. The 3.9L engine knocks/taps when put under load. At 32k engine light came on, code said that 2 of 4 oxy-sensors needed replaced, $96 each, did myself, 3k later the other 2 go out. Put 10k on a year, only light hauling, never towed a trailer. At 51k motor blows, with "extended" 50k warranty . Dealer gave me nothing, they wanted $3,200 for new motor (replace crap with crap!). Rebuilt myself, case full of sludge,lower bearings trashed. No space to recline seats. Can't wait to dump this 10 to 12 MPG nightmare.
Favorite Features
Exterior design, though tailgate support straps did rust and snap. You can't get a 4x8 sheet of plywood between wheels of a pickup though you can on a Caravan. But it looks pretty.
Suggested Improvements
Stop selling 3.9L it is garbage. Why does it go through serpentine belts (2 in 50k?), and oxy-sensors the way it does? Can't remove oil cap when engine is warm, what's the deal with that? Ice up the cap it will come off. Why the sludge buildup, on low mileage engine? Not an inch to recline seat.