Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

02' Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab - 2wd
By Deccapi

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a good truck so far. The only complaint is gas consumption.

Favorite Features

My rearview mirror dims automatically when some idiot high beams me and I just laugh because he/she is wasting their time.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy would be nice, until that day, keep workin to pay for $2.50 a gallon gas.

Gotta love a Dodge
By Andy

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Have been thoroughly pleased with this truck with only minor exceptions. This truck drives, handles, and tows exceptionally. I've used it to haul cars, trucks, boats, campers, and my family without fail.

Favorite Features

Engine

Suggested Improvements

The A/C system is the biggest flaw I see with this truck...not cold enough for FL heat. I'm also disappointed that the sealed front bearings on the 2wd are not covered under my 7/100 extended warranty. They are not serviceable, wear quickly and are costly to replace...$300+ ea. at dealer.

150K and still loving it. Dodge Rules!
By dodgeman

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first truck, and my first Dodge product. I own a Nissan car, and this has proven to be just as reliable. I purchased this with 70K on the odometer and just clicked 150,000. I love this truck. It has proven to be the most reliable vehicle ever. I've had my share of small issues like seals on the A/C compressor ($90), resistor fan switch ($50) ignition ($200) hose leaks (due to my lack of maintenance) but it has never failed to start and drive since I've owned it. These trucks do not get the respect they deserve. I have beaten this thing down (waiting 8- 9K before oil changes, never serviced tranny, differential, filters, fluids, nothing. Just brakes, oil, tires and the key.

Favorite Features

Turning radius much better than my Maxima. Stock stereo is very nice. Spacious backseat. Reliability! Smooth shifting tranny, great sound vor a V6, sounds like a muscle car. Solid build quality and fit 'n finish, amazing paint (mineral gray) simple and functional layout, under hood space.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage! This was addressed with the 3.7L. Better ignition tumblers (apparently a common problem), power is kind of lacking, but it is a 4200 pound 4 door truck with a 175 horse v6. The 4.7 in this truck is amazing so that's Dodge's fix for my problem. Shoulda got a v8!

Get a Toyota Tundra
By gcsupraman

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I think this has to be the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life. I was going to get the Tundra but was blinded by the rebate. I paid $26000 for the truck after the rebate and I see its only worth $16,000 (private party value) I have never had a vehicle depreciate so fast. For the money i've lost - not including the $376 monthly payments for the last year (total cost of ownership) $1376 per month I could have paid a limo driver to drive me around. The truck has been in the shop 6 times in the year for clunking, check engine light and stalling. I will never ever buy another chrysler product again!

Favorite Features

It's comfortable and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better build quality, stiffer shocks, better brakes, stronger ball joints, better fuel economy, A/C that is actually cold

Awsome
By Bogey69

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck I have owned yet. Went looking for a new one this summer and was not happy. They have nothing like this out there. Ford and Chevy gave up making Rangers and S-10's. Toyota has a smaller interior. This truck has been excellent in upper Michigan. In snow and off road it handles like a champ. Never had any major issues yet and has been a joy to drive. I plan on keeping it for another 80K. Why spend money on the new junk! The 4.7l V8 really goes and has tons of power that can tow a 24 ft trailer with no problem.