2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Good Value
By Jackneye on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my new Dakota and I am impressed so far. I was reluctant to look into a Dodge, but as I researched other trucks (mid-size & full-size), I found the Dakota to have the best value. The interior is especially comfortable and the club cab actually provides a decent amount of extra space. The ride is very car-like, and the power, although not overwhelming, is adequate. In comparison with other compact trucks, the Dodge's styling blows the competition away. All in all I am pleased with the truck and I feel I got the most bang for my buck.

Fun to Drive, A Joy to Own
By koneal on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my '02 Dakota 4.7L V8 SLT 2WD Ext Cab for 8 months now. The ride quality is excellent, performance is responsive with the 5-speed manual transmission. I've used it to not only haul a few people around but to haul many heavy loads. It's performed to spec and more every time.

4.7L Automatic 4x4
By CAM on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

The Dodge Dakota is a fun and functional truck. It has been great for moving friends and making home improvements. The interior is simple and functional. A little more interior design would go along way.

Where's the head Room
By urban cowboy on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

25 yrs.former F150 and Ranger-fan. Dakota sport reg cab drives like a car, only on smooth pavement. I like the stiffness in the stiring, but veh. bouncing on rough roads. Some weird noises at times very unusual. Dodge engine sounds like diesel when cold. But quiets dwn when warmed up. Unlike ranger this truck has no room in cab. to wear a cap or hat. What no cosmetic add ons???

5.9L Full Time AWD Model
By FULL TIME AWD on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

We loved the design, ride, features and HP. We have a FULLY Loaded 5.9L Full Time AWD(That is NO Longer AVL!) Automatic with overdrive, locking front and rear difs, Front & Rear ABS, Heavy Duty Tow Package with a engine oil cooler and heavy duty Tranny cooler ect....SADDLY.. We have had nothing but constant problems with it. The engine replaced, Front Diff replace, Constant drive train problems, AC problems, Exhaust Leaks and electrical problems. The dealer has had it more than we have!

nothing like a dakota
By sarge on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

the dakota has the best looking design of any truck,mid-sized or smaller.the design is such that even when it is sitting still,it looks like it is in motion.the larger tires,the paint scheme,and the fender flairs really set it off.every day i thank god for that truck.there are just not enough good things to say about it.

Best truck I've owned
By CEO on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great ride , great fun to drive (get the 4.7L V8) Milage so-so , but as a mid size tow vehical.. the best , Take a ride in all the others , then save the best for last , this way you can drive it home !

Nice family truck..and the V8 rocks!
By Allwirl on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I had a Chevy..many problems. Then I got a Ram Quad 1500, it was nice, but sooo tight in the garage. This (not so) little Dakota is the perfect size for a family man who doesn't tote a lot of lumber anymore. Kids love the backseat, Mom loves the size, and Daddy loves the V8! The V6 seemed sluggish, and the V8 downright hauls butt. I actually got the V8 cheaper than I could have gotten the V6...go figure. From my past experience with the Ram, I know there is quality. I had minor problems, but dealership and Dodge excell in customer service. GOTTA GETTA DODGE!!!

good truck
By DocBob on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I had the truck for about 8 months. I is just what I wanted 4 doors acts like a car with the kids and has a bed to move stuff around. Only draw back is the gas milage but I knew that before I purchased the truck. Overall a very good truck a little wind noise on the hight way though.

Good family truck
By kn1 on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I wanted something to do a bit of everything, commute, haul the family, tow, offroad, etc. Really liked it from the start. Cab is very well laid out. Comfortable seating with room enough for me (6'2"), even in the rear seats. Seats 6, rear doors open really wide for good access. Truck bed is a bit short, but I don't know if I would want the truck any longer (it's a good compromise). Interior is nice, but not fancy--as it should be in a truck. Overall a great truck to handle many needs. Only complaint is that it seems a bit squirrilly on washboard roads or even some bumps on the highway. MPG around 17 (~70% highway driving).