2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
had enough
By Rhet1 on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

The truck is decent until it hits 20k miles, then it all goes to hell. Transmission is horrible ( been replaced twice ) the build quality is horrific. It rattles and pings at any speed above 30 mph. We made the mistake of buying 6 for our fleet and will be getting rid of them asap. Do yourself a favor and look into something else!

Fun
By eagleeye13 on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Special ordered 4.7, 3.55 lsd, 5 spd with all the goodies. added 3" dynamax cat back exhaust, K&N air filter and ARE tonneau. July 5,2003 drove from San Diego to San Fernando Valley and back 370 miles speed 75 mph avg (70-80) freeway, with about 30 miles city type driving 19.6 mpg for trip. This truck rides and handles more like a car. Previous trucks were '98 dakota 5.2 with same as '02 accesories, needed more seat room, and '89 se-v6 Nissan loaded, I get better mpg from both Dakota's with more comfort and power then the Nissan.

Excellent truck
By sogospfan on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I just don't like the 15mpg gas mileage. I have only had the truck for 3 weeks and have put over 1000 miles on it. It is so fun to drive. I love it.

'02 4.7 V8 Dakota
By DodgeDude on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

For the money this is a great truck. Excellent power, rides great, comfortable, looks cool. That little 4.7 puts out some good ponies for that mid-size truck. Had 2 minor problems in the first couple of weeks, but the dealer fixed for free. Engine made a squealing sound like a loose belt, and air bag light came on. I find that most new cars go to the shop for minor fixes within the first couple of weeks anyway.

'02 V-8 Dakota
By Marklom on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the truck is great. I did not want a huge full-size truck, but wanted a V8. I love the looks of the truck and it handles real well. It has plenty of power for a mid size truck.

Jerry's SXT
By JerryH. on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Before owning this truck I had a Ford F150 XLT Supercab w/ 5.4L and three door cab. I traded it in because the transmission was starting to go. The biggest mistake I made in buying the Dakota was in not getting a V-8. I mistakenly thought that the gas mileage would be better with the V-6. The amount of gas mileage that you receive does not even come close to justifying the horsepower you lose when going with the V-6. Other than than preferring the V-8, I would also get the quad cab instead of the club cab. With my f-150 I at least had three doors, with the club cab you have to fold the front seats forward in order to access the back seat.

Love This Truck
By jtdamask on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I don't know if we have just been lucky or what but we have had zero problems with our Dakota. It is fun to drive and performs well.

Dakota's a hit
By dakotavol on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Second Dakota I've owned, and I'll do it again, more than likely. This truck has the new 4.7 V-8, and although I hated to see the venerable 318 go away, the 4.7 is POWERFUL. It's got plenty of power to react quickly, even when pulling a boat, trailer, or other heavy load. Comfort is on a par with with most luxury cars, the ride is smoother than any truck I've ever ridden.

Love My qc
By mean16 on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my Dakota for a year now and i have a 27k on it. So far the truck has been great. I tow a 3500 poundboat all over the place and the truck never complains. I have a 4x4 qhad cab with the 4.7 v8 and it has more then enough power for my pulling needs. As for mileage it is what i expected to get, i get 13city/17hwy and 14 towing. Its really not that much worse then the s10 i had before it. I have had only one problem with the truck, i had to have a ball joint boot replaced because it was torn. Other then that its been perfect.

My Dream Truck
By ptarmagan on 04/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I love everything about My Quad Cab except one thing, gas mileage. I average about 17 mpg but mostly city driving. I guess thats the reality of having a 4x4 truck. I have the 4.7 liter V8 and it's sure fun to drive. Passing a slow moving vehicle on the road is quick and effortless. This is the only compact quad cab on the market that can sit four adults and one young one comfortably. The gas mileage is a small sacrifice for all the comfort and performance built in.