Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

had enough
By Rhet1

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

The truck is decent until it hits 20k miles, then it all goes to hell. Transmission is horrible ( been replaced twice ) the build quality is horrific. It rattles and pings at any speed above 30 mph. We made the mistake of buying 6 for our fleet and will be getting rid of them asap. Do yourself a favor and look into something else!

Exterior design, truck does look good.

Build it better from top to bottom.

'02 4.7 V8 Dakota
By DodgeDude

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

For the money this is a great truck. Excellent power, rides great, comfortable, looks cool. That little 4.7 puts out some good ponies for that mid-size truck. Had 2 minor problems in the first couple of weeks, but the dealer fixed for free. Engine made a squealing sound like a loose belt, and air bag light came on. I find that most new cars go to the shop for minor fixes within the first couple of weeks anyway.

Powerfull engine. This truck moves pretty good with the 4.7L. Faster then any other P/U, except for the R/T and Ford SVT. My next one will be the R/T.

A little bit better quality. The front end makes some knocking sounds sometimes during turning. People complain about Gas mileage, but I think its pretty good for a V8. I added dual exhaust and noticed a good improvement in gas mileage.

'02 V-8 Dakota
By Marklom

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the truck is great. I did not want a huge full-size truck, but wanted a V8. I love the looks of the truck and it handles real well. It has plenty of power for a mid size truck.

The 230 horsepower engine! This little truck really moves with this engine. I installed dual-exhaust and really noticed a difference in improved gas mileage and horsepower. Also, that little V8 really roars now. There's nothing like that Mopar sound!

Stiffer rear springs. In my Toyota Tacoma and couldn't tell when I had my motorcycle in the back. The Dakota's rear springs get slightly mushy with the bike in the back, but not much. The bed ties downs aren’t in the best locations, on the floor.

Jerry's SXT
By JerryH.

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Before owning this truck I had a Ford F150 XLT Supercab w/ 5.4L and three door cab. I traded it in because the transmission was starting to go. The biggest mistake I made in buying the Dakota was in not getting a V-8. I mistakenly thought that the gas mileage would be better with the V-6. The amount of gas mileage that you receive does not even come close to justifying the horsepower you lose when going with the V-6. Other than than preferring the V-8, I would also get the quad cab instead of the club cab. With my f-150 I at least had three doors, with the club cab you have to fold the front seats forward in order to access the back seat.

My favorite features about The Dakota SXT are its styling, comfort and the size of it. It is not as small as a Ranger or S-10 or Tacoma, but it is easier to park than a F-150, Sierra, or even Tundra.

I would add access doors to the rear seat area, and improve the horsepower to gas mileage of all the Magnum engines.

Lemon
By Darryl Knieff

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had poor luck with my Dakota! It will shimmy, try to die, rattles, and has poor power on take off. I hav been told by (experts) that this is normal for this truck. Now you and I know this isn`t true. It also has major slack in the drive-train. My gas mileage is much worse than sticker showed. This is the second Dakota bought new that I have had problems with, a 93, and this 02,. Who would dream of getting 2 lemons in a row, or is this the standard for dodge. I will never own another chrysler product!

I like the overall appearance of the vehicle. It is comfortable, and has nice interior features. The ride is smooth and road noise low.

make a vehicle with good dependabl mechanics/drivetrain/electronics. increase the rpm to at least 800 at idle.

• SUV