Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Could have been
By Nate

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the 4.7L for 8 years and as a whole it has been decent. I like the ride comfort, roominess of the cab, power and the 4wd in the snow. However, the front end has been painful to maintain. Seems that it always has issues whether it be ball joints, cv joints, flex hoses, calipers seizing up, various bushings needing replacement, etc. The calipers have actually seized 3 times. Crazy. Without the front-end problems this would have been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Since this is not the case, the '83 Subaru GL 4wd I had in college still reigns supreme.

Ride comfort.

Front end build quality.

i give it 8 gold medals
By kylenewc

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Not only is this the best mid size truck ever, no other comany has anything like it. powerful,fun,sound,comfort,room,and 4X4 is all amazing. to all the complainers about fuel millage, take a full size truck for a spin and tell me if its any better. the truck has given me some minor problems that about any truck would have.

great truck

no possie rear, peice of junk it breaks be prepaired, better radio(its pathetic)

150K and still loving it. Dodge Rules!
By dodgeman

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first truck, and my first Dodge product. I own a Nissan car, and this has proven to be just as reliable. I purchased this with 70K on the odometer and just clicked 150,000. I love this truck. It has proven to be the most reliable vehicle ever. I've had my share of small issues like seals on the A/C compressor ($90), resistor fan switch ($50) ignition ($200) hose leaks (due to my lack of maintenance) but it has never failed to start and drive since I've owned it. These trucks do not get the respect they deserve. I have beaten this thing down (waiting 8- 9K before oil changes, never serviced tranny, differential, filters, fluids, nothing. Just brakes, oil, tires and the key.

Turning radius much better than my Maxima. Stock stereo is very nice. Spacious backseat. Reliability! Smooth shifting tranny, great sound vor a V6, sounds like a muscle car. Solid build quality and fit 'n finish, amazing paint (mineral gray) simple and functional layout, under hood space.

Better fuel mileage! This was addressed with the 3.7L. Better ignition tumblers (apparently a common problem), power is kind of lacking, but it is a 4200 pound 4 door truck with a 175 horse v6. The 4.7 in this truck is amazing so that's Dodge's fix for my problem. Shoulda got a v8!

This truck wrote the book of awesome.
By Jon

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck really is great. It's really more of a people hauler, with its ridiulously massive interior that comfortably seats 5 full size adults plus a child in the front middle. Yet despite this, the 5.9L magnum has plenty of get up and go, enough in fact to send this pickup 0-60 in about 8 seconds, which isn't bad at all for a truck. It's also got plenty of torque that can pull a trailer, a bed full of whatever, and a loaded cab all at the same time. I've used it for camping, towing both cars and trailers, I've even used it to pull a tree stump out of my yard. Currently a daily driver, still going strong after about 7 years of service, only problems have been 1 or 2 recalls, nothing major.

360 CI V8, 4WD, 6 seater, absolutely huge back seat, fog lamps, the sound system, full instrumentation (dash). This thing rallies around corners and burns out like mad when you plant your foot in it.

I wish mine had leather interior, oil and tranny temp gauges would be nice, I know that there's an information system available on some of the higher end models that include a compass, fuel information(MPG, miles to 0 and so forth), outside temp. etc. Supercharge it.

Horrible Mileage then Blown Engine!
By Bill

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle at a Dodge Dealership used for $9k with 27k on it. Changed my oil to Mobil 1 upon purchase, and regularly at 3k intervals. Worst truck I have ever owned. The 3.9L engine knocks/taps when put under load. At 32k engine light came on, code said that 2 of 4 oxy-sensors needed replaced, $96 each, did myself, 3k later the other 2 go out. Put 10k on a year, only light hauling, never towed a trailer. At 51k motor blows, with "extended" 50k warranty . Dealer gave me nothing, they wanted $3,200 for new motor (replace crap with crap!). Rebuilt myself, case full of sludge,lower bearings trashed. No space to recline seats. Can't wait to dump this 10 to 12 MPG nightmare.

Exterior design, though tailgate support straps did rust and snap. You can't get a 4x8 sheet of plywood between wheels of a pickup though you can on a Caravan. But it looks pretty.

Stop selling 3.9L it is garbage. Why does it go through serpentine belts (2 in 50k?), and oxy-sensors the way it does? Can't remove oil cap when engine is warm, what's the deal with that? Ice up the cap it will come off. Why the sludge buildup, on low mileage engine? Not an inch to recline seat.