2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Great Truck
By Moki on 04/26/07 08:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck rides like a luxury car on the highway and in the mountains it is a very stable well balanced ride. I have towed a heavily loaded 20 foot trailor over many of the mountain passes in Colorado, handling is supurb and the V6 Magnum engine has plenty of power to assend these high passes - many of them over 10,000 ft.

Just keep walking passed a Dodge
By GI Tiger on 03/07/07 21:34 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I had the V8 crew cab, nice and roomy, but to much dead space. Dodge could of had more compartments and better use of the wide open spaces. The cab would creek,moan and crackle. One of the weirdest trucks I've ever owned (5 mons). resale/trade-in was really bad. I took a $8000 bath on this one. The worst truck I ever bought, If it wasn't in the shop, it was setting because the the starter, lights, sinsors staying on or something else

Fun in the snow
By mopar fan on 05/24/06 15:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Powerful toy, fun to drive in the snow. Very reliable, only complaint is slow braking power, sometimes scary. Ride is pleasant concidering that it is a truck.

Gotta love a Dodge
By Andy on 03/26/06 07:13 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Have been thoroughly pleased with this truck with only minor exceptions. This truck drives, handles, and tows exceptionally. I've used it to haul cars, trucks, boats, campers, and my family without fail.

Nice Truck/Family Car
By Dean on 03/03/06 12:42 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first car/truck I ever purchased new (right off the showroom floor)This truck has been very good to me. The only issue I have had with it was a starter that went out however the dealer fixed under warranty and have done nothing more then change the oil, put gas in it and drive. Although the box is fairly small it had been fine for me. If you plan to hall large planks of lumber you may want a p/u with a longer bed as 5 & 1/2 foot is not all that usesfull. Fuel economy has held pretty strong around the low 20's. Expecting much more then that from a truck is not really all that practical unless your comparing to a 4cyl S-10 or Ranger.

Dodge Ain't What It Used to Be
By BK Lawson on 12/25/05 12:40 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Buying this truck was the worst vehicular mistake I've ever made in my life. In the first 6 months, the truck had more problems than the last 3 vehichles I've owned all put together! What was the most shocking was Daimler/Chrysler's "We don't care!" attitude, resulting in my having to go to a lawyer to try and get some kind of satisfaction over what has been the most unreliable, annoying, untrustable truck I have EVER seen in my life! Then, of course, the warranty- there's always a way out for them so they don't have to honor it. Cheap parts, shabby construction, little to no inspection of finished product. My advice? Don't buy a Dodge truck. They sure aren't what they used to be

Glad I Bought
By New Fan on 12/20/05 14:51 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

We needed the functionality of a truck, but also needed to carry four or more people. I spent many months researching and driving different trucks which would fill our needs included the 05 Tacoma, 05 Frontier, Sportrac, Colorado, and S-10, but I kept coming back to the Dakota. Reasons: solid feel, comfortable interior, tight turning radius, looks, power, pleasant ride, and plentiful options. We have not been disapointed. We knew that we would be sacrificing fuel economy, but it is still better than full size trucks. Though used with over 55K miles, it still feels new and other than a loose gas cap, have not had any problems.

MLW Dakota
By MLW on 09/20/05 09:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Overall this is a great truck. I bought it to pull a 3 place snowmobile trailer and it does a good job, however it needs different gearing. It always hunts for the correct gear between 55- 65 mph under or over that speed seems ok, plus the gas mileage when towing is poor at best. Otherwise, it's has been a reliable truck, and I would buy another!

Gas mileage
By Joel on 08/25/05 23:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I love my truck and the way it rides. The only problem is the gas mileage. I might get 17 MPG on the highway if I'm lucky. That's driving around 60 to 70 MPH with the tailgate down. I've talked to others who own a Dakota and they average about the same.

It's the suspension stupid
By Dan H on 07/30/05 18:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Dakota. The ball joints have been replaced on both twice now.Other than that, it's a good little truck. 18/19 mpg and I make it work for its gas. The transmission is quirky, but still going strong, and I will likely buy another. The brakes arenot too good