2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
4.7 very impressive 3:92 gear
By wozz123 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

all in all a really good truck

Hope to stay pleased.
By mshep11025 on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Looked at a Ford Ranger 4WD Edge first and just about bought it. Wow, am I glad I took some advice and looked at the SLT...........not really in the same category but in my case, close in price. Hope I comtinue to enjoy as much as I do now. My wife also loves it because it has plenty of style, room, and power w/o overwhelming size.

what'd you mean review title?
By nickolimartini on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Couldn't have gotten a better truck for the buck, way better than any ford or chevy we've ever owned. Very rugged, never a single little problem with it, and great torque and power.

Great Truck
By Jwiegold on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new in February of last year and I have had NO problems with it. It is very comfortable and seems to be just the right size. I can fit motorcycles in the bed and even with a v-6 and automatic transmission it still has enough power to tow a trailer full of motorcycles through mountains. (It is equipped with the 3.92 rear axle ratio).

had enough
By Rhet1 on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

The truck is decent until it hits 20k miles, then it all goes to hell. Transmission is horrible ( been replaced twice ) the build quality is horrific. It rattles and pings at any speed above 30 mph. We made the mistake of buying 6 for our fleet and will be getting rid of them asap. Do yourself a favor and look into something else!

'02 4.7 V8 Dakota
By DodgeDude on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

For the money this is a great truck. Excellent power, rides great, comfortable, looks cool. That little 4.7 puts out some good ponies for that mid-size truck. Had 2 minor problems in the first couple of weeks, but the dealer fixed for free. Engine made a squealing sound like a loose belt, and air bag light came on. I find that most new cars go to the shop for minor fixes within the first couple of weeks anyway.

'02 V-8 Dakota
By Marklom on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the truck is great. I did not want a huge full-size truck, but wanted a V8. I love the looks of the truck and it handles real well. It has plenty of power for a mid size truck.

Jerry's SXT
By JerryH. on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Before owning this truck I had a Ford F150 XLT Supercab w/ 5.4L and three door cab. I traded it in because the transmission was starting to go. The biggest mistake I made in buying the Dakota was in not getting a V-8. I mistakenly thought that the gas mileage would be better with the V-6. The amount of gas mileage that you receive does not even come close to justifying the horsepower you lose when going with the V-6. Other than than preferring the V-8, I would also get the quad cab instead of the club cab. With my f-150 I at least had three doors, with the club cab you have to fold the front seats forward in order to access the back seat.

Lemon
By Darryl Knieff on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had poor luck with my Dakota! It will shimmy, try to die, rattles, and has poor power on take off. I hav been told by (experts) that this is normal for this truck. Now you and I know this isn`t true. It also has major slack in the drive-train. My gas mileage is much worse than sticker showed. This is the second Dakota bought new that I have had problems with, a 93, and this 02,. Who would dream of getting 2 lemons in a row, or is this the standard for dodge. I will never own another chrysler product!

Nice truck
By victoria on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a Dodge Caravan for years, it was a little difficult to get used to the truck-like ride. However, for a truck, I think the ride is pretty good. I'm concerned about the way it handles over bumps. Could use more head-room. Seat belts are hard to put on. Nice acceleration and fun to drive.