Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

1st Dodge P/up
By rcarlson

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

34000 plus miles to date, and only malfunction has been a lose rear view mirror. The Goodyear Eagle tires were worn down to less then 1/4th of a penny tread left at 30,000 miles. Not very impressive tire performance. I have replaced with Michelins best light truck tires, and the comfort and handling is greatly improved.

Favorite Features

1. Overdrive 2. Visability 3. 4.7 Liter V8 Engine is a super performer in this truck.

Suggested Improvements

AN ALL WHEEL DRIVE (AWD) option for those of us who could use four wheel traction some times, i.e.steep and slippery boat ramps,trips into snow country,etc.

what'd you mean review title?
By nickolimartini

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Couldn't have gotten a better truck for the buck, way better than any ford or chevy we've ever owned. Very rugged, never a single little problem with it, and great torque and power.

Favorite Features

Its ability to become airborne and fly far enough that the landing force is so great the bed smashes into and dents the cab upon impact and bounce back without even needing an alignment.

Suggested Improvements

Put V rated tires on it standard so you're not so scared when travelling "who the hell knows" how fast past the 120mph speedometer.

Great Truck
By Jwiegold

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new in February of last year and I have had NO problems with it. It is very comfortable and seems to be just the right size. I can fit motorcycles in the bed and even with a v-6 and automatic transmission it still has enough power to tow a trailer full of motorcycles through mountains. (It is equipped with the 3.92 rear axle ratio).

Favorite Features

-Rack and Pinion Steering -comfortable seats (bucket) -great value

Suggested Improvements

A five speed automatic transmission would be nice with the v-6 to close the gap between 3rd and overdrive.

Get a Toyota Tundra
By gcsupraman

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I think this has to be the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life. I was going to get the Tundra but was blinded by the rebate. I paid $26000 for the truck after the rebate and I see its only worth $16,000 (private party value) I have never had a vehicle depreciate so fast. For the money i've lost - not including the $376 monthly payments for the last year (total cost of ownership) $1376 per month I could have paid a limo driver to drive me around. The truck has been in the shop 6 times in the year for clunking, check engine light and stalling. I will never ever buy another chrysler product again!

Favorite Features

It's comfortable and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better build quality, stiffer shocks, better brakes, stronger ball joints, better fuel economy, A/C that is actually cold

02' Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab - 2wd
By Deccapi

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a good truck so far. The only complaint is gas consumption.

Favorite Features

My rearview mirror dims automatically when some idiot high beams me and I just laugh because he/she is wasting their time.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy would be nice, until that day, keep workin to pay for $2.50 a gallon gas.