Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Base Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

I love my Dodge
By Cal

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my truck since it had 27 miles on it and it currently sits at a hair below 130k. Besides the water pump going bad and it still running fine for 3 years until it finally exploded, I've had not a lick of problems. Other then the standard oil changes around 5k miles and only 2 tuneups, I haven't touched a single thing otherwise. This truck has been through hell and back and still starts at the turn of a key. 2500 lbs of block in the bed couldn't hurt this truck. Beaten and abused is the best way to put it and its still my daily driver. IF it ever dies, i will indeed be looking for my next dakota. Excellent truck. By far the best vehicle I've owned.

Favorite Features

The whole thing. Truck runs great, seats are comfortable and the stock sound system is part of the things that dreams are made of

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage, unfortunately. It's a Dodge, it loves gas. Pros def outweigh the 1 con that could also happen to be my foot

Good Value
By Jackneye

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my new Dakota and I am impressed so far. I was reluctant to look into a Dodge, but as I researched other trucks (mid-size & full-size), I found the Dakota to have the best value. The interior is especially comfortable and the club cab actually provides a decent amount of extra space. The ride is very car-like, and the power, although not overwhelming, is adequate. In comparison with other compact trucks, the Dodge's styling blows the competition away. All in all I am pleased with the truck and I feel I got the most bang for my buck.

Favorite Features

The 16 inch wheels and truck's stocky look.

Suggested Improvements

More attention to detail in the interior space and with the paint job. Having owned Honda's, the difference in quality is obvious.

I love my Dakota SXT
By Brenden Humbert

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Dodge Dakota SXT single cab 2WD back in November of 2001. It has the 3.9l V-6 mated to a 5- speed manual and a 3.55 rear axle ratio. I love this truck and highly recommend it. Ive taken it on a few long trips and it is fairly comfortable. Being that I am only 18, I admit to driving this truck extremely hard. So far, it is not giving me any problems at all. Every now and then it makes some weird noises but they dont seam serious and everything has checked out alright. I love this truck! It is very fast for its weight and considering that it is only a V-6. No Ranger, S-10, or any other truck in its class can even come close to comparing.

Favorite Features

The style, power, and standard options.

Suggested Improvements

None