Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Dakota sxt v6 regular cab
By mainer351

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Best and most reliable truck ever owned. When I first got it, needed a computer and some maintenance after that it runs like a champ and it does what I ask it to do and never lets me down. The 3.9 v6 magnum starts right up in sub zero temps in the middle of brutal Maine winters and runs strong. The truck gets up and goes with the 3.92 rear , while its missing top end power. The 4wd in the truck is awesome with good clearance and it out classes any fords, chevys, and toyotas offroad. Take this truck to rugged Maine north country offroad through mud holes , rivers and mountains every summer to go camping and its never giving me a problem. Very good looking truck and fun to drive.

The looks of the truck with the dark blue and gray bumpers and grill give it a rugged appearance. Like everything else about the truck

mpg 13/16 4spd auto

I love my Dodge
By Cal

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my truck since it had 27 miles on it and it currently sits at a hair below 130k. Besides the water pump going bad and it still running fine for 3 years until it finally exploded, I've had not a lick of problems. Other then the standard oil changes around 5k miles and only 2 tuneups, I haven't touched a single thing otherwise. This truck has been through hell and back and still starts at the turn of a key. 2500 lbs of block in the bed couldn't hurt this truck. Beaten and abused is the best way to put it and its still my daily driver. IF it ever dies, i will indeed be looking for my next dakota. Excellent truck. By far the best vehicle I've owned.

The whole thing. Truck runs great, seats are comfortable and the stock sound system is part of the things that dreams are made of

gas mileage, unfortunately. It's a Dodge, it loves gas. Pros def outweigh the 1 con that could also happen to be my foot

Horrendous Update
By Bill Sohonage

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is an update. Bought for 9k with 27k on it, Dec."07". 51k motor goes PING, bearings and crank need replaced. Despite meticulous attention and mobi1 1. One k over 50k warranty and dealer laughs at me. I replace crank and bearings myself, lasts another 8k and motor goes again. Replace with 30k junkyard motor and two weeks later tranny goes! In 30k miles, I've also replaced, AC Compressor, full exhaust, front hubs, power steering hoses, starter (twice!), brakes, rotors and needed to replace with over sized brake pins as the originals were worn and too loose! 4 Oxygen sensors... Oh,lets not forget the fan control module under glove box which caught fire. AHHHH

Is it the serpentine belts that it seems to eat at 57 bucks a pop...or the crappy 3.9 motors I've gotten so good at changing...No I guess its the tailgate cables that are made of some special metal that rusts out more quickly then scientifically possible. Its a truly remarkable piece of garbage!

Scrap the 3.9 motor and 46 RE transmission and pledge never to sell to unsuspecting public ever again. This truck was designed to keep transmission shops and engine re-builders in business! The tranny shops say it is their bread and butter!

Horrible Mileage then Blown Engine!
By Bill

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle at a Dodge Dealership used for $9k with 27k on it. Changed my oil to Mobil 1 upon purchase, and regularly at 3k intervals. Worst truck I have ever owned. The 3.9L engine knocks/taps when put under load. At 32k engine light came on, code said that 2 of 4 oxy-sensors needed replaced, $96 each, did myself, 3k later the other 2 go out. Put 10k on a year, only light hauling, never towed a trailer. At 51k motor blows, with "extended" 50k warranty . Dealer gave me nothing, they wanted $3,200 for new motor (replace crap with crap!). Rebuilt myself, case full of sludge,lower bearings trashed. No space to recline seats. Can't wait to dump this 10 to 12 MPG nightmare.

Exterior design, though tailgate support straps did rust and snap. You can't get a 4x8 sheet of plywood between wheels of a pickup though you can on a Caravan. But it looks pretty.

Stop selling 3.9L it is garbage. Why does it go through serpentine belts (2 in 50k?), and oxy-sensors the way it does? Can't remove oil cap when engine is warm, what's the deal with that? Ice up the cap it will come off. Why the sludge buildup, on low mileage engine? Not an inch to recline seat.

Great buy
By Tom

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this used from a private owner to replace our 1988 Dakota last November. The '88 got to where it would just die on the road. We've been very pleased with it and it hasn't given us any trouble at all, and it never gave the previous owner any trouble. It rides smooth as silk, seat is very comfortable, drives well, great truck. Plenty of space, though back seat is terrible to ride in. All in all, great buy.

Storage, bed light, easy and fun to drive

2WD has terrible traction on even a lightly damp road. I pulled out in front of someone yesterday and it started out fine but then the tires spun like nuts once I stepped on it a little more. Also roars loudly in 1st gear when the engine is cold. Transmission is a little jerky.