Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

150K and still loving it. Dodge Rules!
By dodgeman

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first truck, and my first Dodge product. I own a Nissan car, and this has proven to be just as reliable. I purchased this with 70K on the odometer and just clicked 150,000. I love this truck. It has proven to be the most reliable vehicle ever. I've had my share of small issues like seals on the A/C compressor ($90), resistor fan switch ($50) ignition ($200) hose leaks (due to my lack of maintenance) but it has never failed to start and drive since I've owned it. These trucks do not get the respect they deserve. I have beaten this thing down (waiting 8- 9K before oil changes, never serviced tranny, differential, filters, fluids, nothing. Just brakes, oil, tires and the key.

Turning radius much better than my Maxima. Stock stereo is very nice. Spacious backseat. Reliability! Smooth shifting tranny, great sound vor a V6, sounds like a muscle car. Solid build quality and fit 'n finish, amazing paint (mineral gray) simple and functional layout, under hood space.

Better fuel mileage! This was addressed with the 3.7L. Better ignition tumblers (apparently a common problem), power is kind of lacking, but it is a 4200 pound 4 door truck with a 175 horse v6. The 4.7 in this truck is amazing so that's Dodge's fix for my problem. Shoulda got a v8!

Saying Goodbye To My Dakota
By John

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 2002 Dodge Dakota. And I miss it already! I purchased it right off the truck in October 2001 and I fell in love with it right away. 7 years, 125,000 miles and very few repairs! The redesign and the low quality materials Mopar currently is using do not do my all-time favorite vehicle justice. I went everywhere in this truck. I got my money's worth out of it. Goodbye Dakota! (Yes, I know I'm a dork but still...)

Seat Fabric, Cup holders, Bench Seat Design. V6 3.9 Magnum - Power and fuel efficiency.

Make the new ones the way you did the old ones Dodge! With quality materials!

Solid Truck
By Dakota

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Overall a very reliable truck. Never had any problems w/ the drivetrain or any major mechanical issues. That said, the brakes are awful and the ball joints are junk - getting them replaced by Dodge, even with a recall, was a real hassle. Fuel economy averaged a disappointing 15mpg, and the 3.9 V6 just does not have enough power to get the heavier quad-cab moving or passing with enough authority. At highway speeds, the ride is smooth for a truck, but very noisy. Had to upgrade sound system just to hear the music. After 50k, it still runs great, but I should've opted for the V8 instead. This has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have owned, but more power is a must for a truck.

Quad-cab rear door opening angle, Factory Infinity stereo system above average. Roomy interior & full size back seats (not just a plain bench). Intuitive instrument cluster & dash layout - good positioning of switches.

More fuel economy or more power. The V6 has neither. Better sound insulation from road noise.

Gotta love a Dodge
By Andy

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Have been thoroughly pleased with this truck with only minor exceptions. This truck drives, handles, and tows exceptionally. I've used it to haul cars, trucks, boats, campers, and my family without fail.

Engine

The A/C system is the biggest flaw I see with this truck...not cold enough for FL heat. I'm also disappointed that the sealed front bearings on the 2wd are not covered under my 7/100 extended warranty. They are not serviceable, wear quickly and are costly to replace...$300+ ea. at dealer.

Nice Truck/Family Car
By Dean

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first car/truck I ever purchased new (right off the showroom floor)This truck has been very good to me. The only issue I have had with it was a starter that went out however the dealer fixed under warranty and have done nothing more then change the oil, put gas in it and drive. Although the box is fairly small it had been fine for me. If you plan to hall large planks of lumber you may want a p/u with a longer bed as 5 & 1/2 foot is not all that usesfull. Fuel economy has held pretty strong around the low 20's. Expecting much more then that from a truck is not really all that practical unless your comparing to a 4cyl S-10 or Ranger.

Overall the whole thing. It's an ideal truck for a young family that needs a truck to haul the larger purchases and projects. Great style and easy to drive.

Nothing real major would like a second power outlet. Word of caution if you put ventshades on the front doors you dramatically increase a potential blind spot.