2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
150K and still loving it. Dodge Rules!
By dodgeman on 01/05/09 07:09 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first truck, and my first Dodge product. I own a Nissan car, and this has proven to be just as reliable. I purchased this with 70K on the odometer and just clicked 150,000. I love this truck. It has proven to be the most reliable vehicle ever. I've had my share of small issues like seals on the A/C compressor ($90), resistor fan switch ($50) ignition ($200) hose leaks (due to my lack of maintenance) but it has never failed to start and drive since I've owned it. These trucks do not get the respect they deserve. I have beaten this thing down (waiting 8- 9K before oil changes, never serviced tranny, differential, filters, fluids, nothing. Just brakes, oil, tires and the key.

Saying Goodbye To My Dakota
By John on 08/19/08 13:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 2002 Dodge Dakota. And I miss it already! I purchased it right off the truck in October 2001 and I fell in love with it right away. 7 years, 125,000 miles and very few repairs! The redesign and the low quality materials Mopar currently is using do not do my all-time favorite vehicle justice. I went everywhere in this truck. I got my money's worth out of it. Goodbye Dakota! (Yes, I know I'm a dork but still...)

Solid Truck
By Dakota on 11/21/07 06:43 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Overall a very reliable truck. Never had any problems w/ the drivetrain or any major mechanical issues. That said, the brakes are awful and the ball joints are junk - getting them replaced by Dodge, even with a recall, was a real hassle. Fuel economy averaged a disappointing 15mpg, and the 3.9 V6 just does not have enough power to get the heavier quad-cab moving or passing with enough authority. At highway speeds, the ride is smooth for a truck, but very noisy. Had to upgrade sound system just to hear the music. After 50k, it still runs great, but I should've opted for the V8 instead. This has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have owned, but more power is a must for a truck.

Gotta love a Dodge
By Andy on 03/26/06 07:13 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Have been thoroughly pleased with this truck with only minor exceptions. This truck drives, handles, and tows exceptionally. I've used it to haul cars, trucks, boats, campers, and my family without fail.

Nice Truck/Family Car
By Dean on 03/03/06 12:42 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first car/truck I ever purchased new (right off the showroom floor)This truck has been very good to me. The only issue I have had with it was a starter that went out however the dealer fixed under warranty and have done nothing more then change the oil, put gas in it and drive. Although the box is fairly small it had been fine for me. If you plan to hall large planks of lumber you may want a p/u with a longer bed as 5 & 1/2 foot is not all that usesfull. Fuel economy has held pretty strong around the low 20's. Expecting much more then that from a truck is not really all that practical unless your comparing to a 4cyl S-10 or Ranger.

Nice truck
By joe on 03/15/05 16:15 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is fun to drive. The V8 is a must. Back seat is roomy for kids, but a little tight for large adults. The rear seat belts are the easiest I've used for installing car seats. I replaced a poor fitting vacuum hose and need to take it in to take care of recall issues. Gas milege isn't the best. A lot of vibration when driving with the windows down.

PLEASE DON'T BUY!! Dodge Corp. NO help!!
By WillieP on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems since the first week!! Stuck with this P.O.S. Several problems with the transmission that supposedly was "matched nicely" to the 4.7L engine. Problems are "deemed normal" by the dealership. I'll drive it till something breaks to recreate the problem for them. Interior fan motor is done. Nothing like the smell of a burning fan motor in the morning. Nice acrid smell of burning plastic/wires. Popping noise at front wheel bearings in turns. Tried to get Dodge Corp. to swap it out and I'd pay the difference. NO DEAL! I'll just take the couple thousand loss on a trade soon. It'll be worth it!

Dodge Dakota
By SVurno on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

I couldn't be happier.

Great truck
By Jim123 on 06/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Dakota. I thought I would try a Pathfinder and decided the V6 would not tow my small trailer. I went back to the Dakota Quad with the 4.7 and what a pleasure it is to drive. No problems with hills and I think the gas mileage is just as good as the Nissan V6. No problems so far and it looks great.

go dodge go
By PRJOHNS69 on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

THE V-8 OPTION IS EXCELLENT. THE FUEL CONSUMPTION IS POOR. TEST DROVE THE 6 CYL IT IS VERY WEAK. CHECK YOUR DEALERSHIP OUT. THE DEALERSHIP WHERE WE PURCHASED OUR DODGES WOULD RANK A 2 AS FAR AS HONESTY AND SERVICE.