2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Awsome
By Bogey69 on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck I have owned yet. Went looking for a new one this summer and was not happy. They have nothing like this out there. Ford and Chevy gave up making Rangers and S-10's. Toyota has a smaller interior. This truck has been excellent in upper Michigan. In snow and off road it handles like a champ. Never had any major issues yet and has been a joy to drive. I plan on keeping it for another 80K. Why spend money on the new junk! The 4.7l V8 really goes and has tons of power that can tow a 24 ft trailer with no problem.

Reliability!
By Operator398 on 08/02/10 02:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new, and have done the maintenance. (4.7 V8, automatic) It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 148,000 miles and counting. Cost per mile for maintenance and repairs is only $0.025. 19.6 MPG since the day I bought it(I have a soft tonneau on it). It still looks good and has no squeaks or rattles. I'm very happy with this truck.

Best vehicle I've owned
By Roger vlietstra on 04/25/10 18:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2002 and have loved it all the while. Only had to replace an o2 sensor. My previous truck was an Isuzu and the Dakota is a million times better. I haul welders, tools and a trailer, so it gets used. I expect to get another 8 years out of it. I get about 13 mpg with tools in and about 17 mpg empty. I put an extra leaf spring in it to help haul the weight which was a great idea.

Overall a Great Truck
By markbg on 03/30/10 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in '02. Love the looks of this model year and still get compliments on it. Great versatility for hauling cargo and misc. stuff in the bed and comfortable enough to fit four adults or family in the cab. It's been a reliable vehicle, but one thing I'd do over is opt for the larger engine. Same or better mileage with the V8 and better performance. Still a wonderful truck!

Could have been
By Nate on 10/14/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the 4.7L for 8 years and as a whole it has been decent. I like the ride comfort, roominess of the cab, power and the 4wd in the snow. However, the front end has been painful to maintain. Seems that it always has issues whether it be ball joints, cv joints, flex hoses, calipers seizing up, various bushings needing replacement, etc. The calipers have actually seized 3 times. Crazy. Without the front-end problems this would have been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Since this is not the case, the '83 Subaru GL 4wd I had in college still reigns supreme.

i give it 8 gold medals
By kylenewc on 07/17/09 21:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Not only is this the best mid size truck ever, no other comany has anything like it. powerful,fun,sound,comfort,room,and 4X4 is all amazing. to all the complainers about fuel millage, take a full size truck for a spin and tell me if its any better. the truck has given me some minor problems that about any truck would have.

150K and still loving it. Dodge Rules!
By dodgeman on 01/05/09 07:09 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first truck, and my first Dodge product. I own a Nissan car, and this has proven to be just as reliable. I purchased this with 70K on the odometer and just clicked 150,000. I love this truck. It has proven to be the most reliable vehicle ever. I've had my share of small issues like seals on the A/C compressor ($90), resistor fan switch ($50) ignition ($200) hose leaks (due to my lack of maintenance) but it has never failed to start and drive since I've owned it. These trucks do not get the respect they deserve. I have beaten this thing down (waiting 8- 9K before oil changes, never serviced tranny, differential, filters, fluids, nothing. Just brakes, oil, tires and the key.

This truck wrote the book of awesome.
By Jon on 12/05/08 20:52 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck really is great. It's really more of a people hauler, with its ridiulously massive interior that comfortably seats 5 full size adults plus a child in the front middle. Yet despite this, the 5.9L magnum has plenty of get up and go, enough in fact to send this pickup 0-60 in about 8 seconds, which isn't bad at all for a truck. It's also got plenty of torque that can pull a trailer, a bed full of whatever, and a loaded cab all at the same time. I've used it for camping, towing both cars and trailers, I've even used it to pull a tree stump out of my yard. Currently a daily driver, still going strong after about 7 years of service, only problems have been 1 or 2 recalls, nothing major.

Saying Goodbye To My Dakota
By John on 08/19/08 13:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 2002 Dodge Dakota. And I miss it already! I purchased it right off the truck in October 2001 and I fell in love with it right away. 7 years, 125,000 miles and very few repairs! The redesign and the low quality materials Mopar currently is using do not do my all-time favorite vehicle justice. I went everywhere in this truck. I got my money's worth out of it. Goodbye Dakota! (Yes, I know I'm a dork but still...)

Good Truck
By Maddog on 07/25/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck used and it now has 115,000 miles on the 3.9 V-6. The truck does not use any oil and runs well. The 5 speed manual has nice gear spacing and is easy to use. I average 18-19 around town and 20-22 on the highway. The quad cab is useful and it does what I need it to do. Good truck Dodge!