Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Club Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Dodge Ain't What It Used to Be
By BK Lawson

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Buying this truck was the worst vehicular mistake I've ever made in my life. In the first 6 months, the truck had more problems than the last 3 vehichles I've owned all put together! What was the most shocking was Daimler/Chrysler's "We don't care!" attitude, resulting in my having to go to a lawyer to try and get some kind of satisfaction over what has been the most unreliable, annoying, untrustable truck I have EVER seen in my life! Then, of course, the warranty- there's always a way out for them so they don't have to honor it. Cheap parts, shabby construction, little to no inspection of finished product. My advice? Don't buy a Dodge truck. They sure aren't what they used to be

Favorite Features

It looks nice, sitting still and not running.

'02 R/T
By Dougzilla04

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, a decent truck. When it stays out of the shop i love it. but it has spent a lot of time there. My truck has about 32,000 miles on it now and i have to take it back for its second set of ball joints. In 2003 its spent about 3 months in the shop for mechanical and engine malfunctions. Dodge's customer service was terrible. At four different dealerships i was not allowed to get a rental car paid for which i think was wrong considering how little i got to drive the vehicle. I know a lot of people that have Dodges and dont have the number of issues that i had, but after this truck i will be going back to toyotas and/or nissans for dependablity reasons.

Favorite Features

I really like the styling on this truck. of course, its an R/T, whats not to like? it handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

First, fix Dodges customer support at the dealership. They leave you high and dry. Second, its a 5.9...give us some of the horsepower that this engine is capable of producing. i get 12mpg for only 250 HP. There are 6 cylinder Accords that get more horsepower than this.

'02 V-8 Dakota
By Marklom

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the truck is great. I did not want a huge full-size truck, but wanted a V8. I love the looks of the truck and it handles real well. It has plenty of power for a mid size truck.

Favorite Features

The 230 horsepower engine! This little truck really moves with this engine. I installed dual-exhaust and really noticed a difference in improved gas mileage and horsepower. Also, that little V8 really roars now. There's nothing like that Mopar sound!

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer rear springs. In my Toyota Tacoma and couldn't tell when I had my motorcycle in the back. The Dakota's rear springs get slightly mushy with the bike in the back, but not much. The bed ties downs aren’t in the best locations, on the floor.

solid, but....
By babs johnson

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

i just purchased the club cab sport a week ago. great comfort, doesn't have that overwhelming truck feeling inside. good get up and go,however it seems to lose torque when the AC is on but i've heard this about most vehicles. great solid all around build yet a cool sporty look. but it is a gas pig!!!! and i only have the 6 cyl. otherwise good tough truck that handles the pot hole filled new orleans streets wonderfully.

Favorite Features

toughness with slick look. power. comfort.

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy...(if only gore were president...) a little pricy for a mid- size pick up. otherwise a great all around truck

R/T Test Drive
By YO

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I dont own one, but i was able to drive an R/T model around my town for a week to see if i wanted one. This is perhaps the greatest vehicle on earth.

Favorite Features

The whole thing, especially the 5.9L

Suggested Improvements

It really sucks gas, but thats what you get if you want the performance.