2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Misfiring when moisture in air
By southpaw9 on 04/07/10 19:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I start my Dakota in the morning and there is moisture in the air, it will misfire and shake and go away when I drive for 5 minutes. Today, it's been raining all day and I went to go start it and it won't start. It will crank over but that's it. fuel pump turns on, coils have a shock to plugs, jump start didn't work. I don't know what to look at. Can anyone help?

Great Overall Truck
By gmax86 on 11/30/09 13:58 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in October of '05 with 53k miles on it. I now have a little over 93k on it and I haven't had any major problems so far which is to be expected on a vehicle with less than 125k and normal driving conditions. The ride is very comfortable for a pickup truck with above average handling. I also love the size, not too small and not too big. The only thing I'm not impressed with my truck is the interior could be better. It's cheap plastic. My glove box handle fell off and almost every peice of plastic has at least 1 small crack on it. But overall I love this truck. It's my second Dakota (had an '88) and I'm not sure if I'd ever get anything other than a Dakota. Dodge rocks!

Geat Truck
By Bryan on 01/20/08 14:47 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 3.9L v6 with 87k mi on it. No major problem as would be expected for a truck with this much mileage. Only problem is from time to time the evap system triggers the check engine light, a trip to Autozone fixes that. Gas mileage could definitely be better. I drive approx 20 miles a day to work, and bought the truck when I went to school right down the street. Most fun to drive of any other vehicle I've owned. For a truck with this much power it is still easily driven in inclement weather if you know what you are doing, if not you're in trouble quickly. Another bad feature is the the center console was designed for the automatic and they didn't change it for the manual, can get in way

look for something else!
By luca66 on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I was so hoping this would be a great truck to keep for always...in a word...not! Electrical, air, engine problems. should of bought a toyota. No resale value, not dependable, and the service dept too lax ( at least here in L.A.). It quickly runs through a tank of gas and can be as expensive as a luxury SUV...on premium fuel. In conclusion...sadly disappointed with this vehicle and can't wait to get rid of it. Like the other reviewer stated...good for the first 20k miles after that...good luck. Sorry dodge, but work a little harder on your product...looks cool, but that ain't enough kid.

4.7 very impressive 3:92 gear
By wozz123 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

all in all a really good truck

had enough
By Rhet1 on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

The truck is decent until it hits 20k miles, then it all goes to hell. Transmission is horrible ( been replaced twice ) the build quality is horrific. It rattles and pings at any speed above 30 mph. We made the mistake of buying 6 for our fleet and will be getting rid of them asap. Do yourself a favor and look into something else!

Fun to Drive, A Joy to Own
By koneal on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my '02 Dakota 4.7L V8 SLT 2WD Ext Cab for 8 months now. The ride quality is excellent, performance is responsive with the 5-speed manual transmission. I've used it to not only haul a few people around but to haul many heavy loads. It's performed to spec and more every time.

Excellent Combination of Features
By jwhite on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned, including an '89 Acura purchased new. The Dakota with 4.7 L V8 has excellent leg room for a 6 footer, more power than I can possibly use, an excellent sound system (infinity), a quiet cabin, and good structural integrity. I compared the Dakota with the Ford Ranger and the Toyota Tacoma. These vehicles did not offer the same level of luxury and features as are found on the Dodge.

Fun to Drive and Overall Great Truck...
By onealk on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my 02 Dakota SLT Plus 4.7L V8 Manual now for about 2 months. I've enjoyed every minute of driving it and using it like the truck it is. I've taken a few trips already with it and enjoyed the comfort of the seats and ride quality. The 4.7L V8 has enough power to propel me down the road with enough force to pass a few cars and merge onto the beltways and freeways.