Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Misfiring when moisture in air
By southpaw9

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I start my Dakota in the morning and there is moisture in the air, it will misfire and shake and go away when I drive for 5 minutes. Today, it's been raining all day and I went to go start it and it won't start. It will crank over but that's it. fuel pump turns on, coils have a shock to plugs, jump start didn't work. I don't know what to look at. Can anyone help?

Great Overall Truck
By gmax86

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in October of '05 with 53k miles on it. I now have a little over 93k on it and I haven't had any major problems so far which is to be expected on a vehicle with less than 125k and normal driving conditions. The ride is very comfortable for a pickup truck with above average handling. I also love the size, not too small and not too big. The only thing I'm not impressed with my truck is the interior could be better. It's cheap plastic. My glove box handle fell off and almost every peice of plastic has at least 1 small crack on it. But overall I love this truck. It's my second Dakota (had an '88) and I'm not sure if I'd ever get anything other than a Dakota. Dodge rocks!

Favorite Features

I love the large center console. Offers plenty of room. Also love the layout for the cupholders. More convenient than I've seen in other vehicles. I also love the tuff appearence, much sharper than the other trucks in the segemnt.

Suggested Improvements

Use better plastic for the interior. How does a glove box handle break anyways when I barely used it? Gas mileage could be better but I'm still glad I went with the 3.9L V6.

Geat Truck
By Bryan

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 3.9L v6 with 87k mi on it. No major problem as would be expected for a truck with this much mileage. Only problem is from time to time the evap system triggers the check engine light, a trip to Autozone fixes that. Gas mileage could definitely be better. I drive approx 20 miles a day to work, and bought the truck when I went to school right down the street. Most fun to drive of any other vehicle I've owned. For a truck with this much power it is still easily driven in inclement weather if you know what you are doing, if not you're in trouble quickly. Another bad feature is the the center console was designed for the automatic and they didn't change it for the manual, can get in way

Favorite Features

Comfort: I have never felt more comfortable driving any vehicle. The stick has a very comfortable throw to it. It is longer than my friends vehicles and I would not have it any other way. It seriously feels as if the truck was made for somebody of my size. (6'3", muscular build). Very study build too

Suggested Improvements

Change the center console to accommodate for the manual transmission. I don't like how I have a cup holder I can't use.

Great Truck
By Moki

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck rides like a luxury car on the highway and in the mountains it is a very stable well balanced ride. I have towed a heavily loaded 20 foot trailor over many of the mountain passes in Colorado, handling is supurb and the V6 Magnum engine has plenty of power to assend these high passes - many of them over 10,000 ft.

Favorite Features

Interior is extreamly comfortable with plenty of storage area.

Suggested Improvements

Might think about oversizing the front brakes, there have been times where it feels as though there is not quite enough braking power

Dodge Ain't What It Used to Be
By BK Lawson

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Buying this truck was the worst vehicular mistake I've ever made in my life. In the first 6 months, the truck had more problems than the last 3 vehichles I've owned all put together! What was the most shocking was Daimler/Chrysler's "We don't care!" attitude, resulting in my having to go to a lawyer to try and get some kind of satisfaction over what has been the most unreliable, annoying, untrustable truck I have EVER seen in my life! Then, of course, the warranty- there's always a way out for them so they don't have to honor it. Cheap parts, shabby construction, little to no inspection of finished product. My advice? Don't buy a Dodge truck. They sure aren't what they used to be

Favorite Features

It looks nice, sitting still and not running.