2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Misfiring when moisture in air
By southpaw9 on 04/07/10 19:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I start my Dakota in the morning and there is moisture in the air, it will misfire and shake and go away when I drive for 5 minutes. Today, it's been raining all day and I went to go start it and it won't start. It will crank over but that's it. fuel pump turns on, coils have a shock to plugs, jump start didn't work. I don't know what to look at. Can anyone help?

Great Overall Truck
By gmax86 on 11/30/09 13:58 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in October of '05 with 53k miles on it. I now have a little over 93k on it and I haven't had any major problems so far which is to be expected on a vehicle with less than 125k and normal driving conditions. The ride is very comfortable for a pickup truck with above average handling. I also love the size, not too small and not too big. The only thing I'm not impressed with my truck is the interior could be better. It's cheap plastic. My glove box handle fell off and almost every peice of plastic has at least 1 small crack on it. But overall I love this truck. It's my second Dakota (had an '88) and I'm not sure if I'd ever get anything other than a Dakota. Dodge rocks!

Geat Truck
By Bryan on 01/20/08 14:47 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 3.9L v6 with 87k mi on it. No major problem as would be expected for a truck with this much mileage. Only problem is from time to time the evap system triggers the check engine light, a trip to Autozone fixes that. Gas mileage could definitely be better. I drive approx 20 miles a day to work, and bought the truck when I went to school right down the street. Most fun to drive of any other vehicle I've owned. For a truck with this much power it is still easily driven in inclement weather if you know what you are doing, if not you're in trouble quickly. Another bad feature is the the center console was designed for the automatic and they didn't change it for the manual, can get in way

Great Truck
By Moki on 04/26/07 08:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck rides like a luxury car on the highway and in the mountains it is a very stable well balanced ride. I have towed a heavily loaded 20 foot trailor over many of the mountain passes in Colorado, handling is supurb and the V6 Magnum engine has plenty of power to assend these high passes - many of them over 10,000 ft.

Dodge Ain't What It Used to Be
By BK Lawson on 12/25/05 12:40 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Buying this truck was the worst vehicular mistake I've ever made in my life. In the first 6 months, the truck had more problems than the last 3 vehichles I've owned all put together! What was the most shocking was Daimler/Chrysler's "We don't care!" attitude, resulting in my having to go to a lawyer to try and get some kind of satisfaction over what has been the most unreliable, annoying, untrustable truck I have EVER seen in my life! Then, of course, the warranty- there's always a way out for them so they don't have to honor it. Cheap parts, shabby construction, little to no inspection of finished product. My advice? Don't buy a Dodge truck. They sure aren't what they used to be

look for something else!
By luca66 on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I was so hoping this would be a great truck to keep for always...in a word...not! Electrical, air, engine problems. should of bought a toyota. No resale value, not dependable, and the service dept too lax ( at least here in L.A.). It quickly runs through a tank of gas and can be as expensive as a luxury SUV...on premium fuel. In conclusion...sadly disappointed with this vehicle and can't wait to get rid of it. Like the other reviewer stated...good for the first 20k miles after that...good luck. Sorry dodge, but work a little harder on your product...looks cool, but that ain't enough kid.

should have bought the ford
By grani on 09/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Nothing but probs from day one. First week, stalled in wet weather on the highway. Next the seal on back window leaked. Brakes shot by 25k. Truck is babied while driven, no hot shots. Now one month after new brakes, rotors, the left wheel is smoking. Then the service engine lite repeatedly comes on. Said the gas cap needed replacement. New vehicle, what a lemon.Customer service stinks since day one.Service dept stinks from day one.The grill is cheap plastic, just broke trying to open the hood.My brother has same truck and had brakes go bad at early mileage.

'02 R/T
By Dougzilla04 on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, a decent truck. When it stays out of the shop i love it. but it has spent a lot of time there. My truck has about 32,000 miles on it now and i have to take it back for its second set of ball joints. In 2003 its spent about 3 months in the shop for mechanical and engine malfunctions. Dodge's customer service was terrible. At four different dealerships i was not allowed to get a rental car paid for which i think was wrong considering how little i got to drive the vehicle. I know a lot of people that have Dodges and dont have the number of issues that i had, but after this truck i will be going back to toyotas and/or nissans for dependablity reasons.

All around great truck
By rjbruce on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention anything about is the optional AWD. I'm not sure if maybe it's not offered in all regions, but it's another great feature that puts this vehicle one notch above the rest. One flaw of the Dakota is it seems to have a light rearend. No problems with AWD. We've hauled 6000lbs of hay on a 16 foot trailer with the 4.7L 5 speed combo, and never had a problem pulling it uphill or anywhere. Comfortable and an attractive design. Especially for being 8 years old. The back seat of the club cab is not for adults but is good for children or storage.

2002 dodge
By charles,odell on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

good truckdrives real good but i do not like the gas milige. or the over drive that i have to lock out