2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Reliability!
By Operator398 on 08/02/10 02:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new, and have done the maintenance. (4.7 V8, automatic) It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 148,000 miles and counting. Cost per mile for maintenance and repairs is only $0.025. 19.6 MPG since the day I bought it(I have a soft tonneau on it). It still looks good and has no squeaks or rattles. I'm very happy with this truck.

Overall a Great Truck
By markbg on 03/30/10 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in '02. Love the looks of this model year and still get compliments on it. Great versatility for hauling cargo and misc. stuff in the bed and comfortable enough to fit four adults or family in the cab. It's been a reliable vehicle, but one thing I'd do over is opt for the larger engine. Same or better mileage with the V8 and better performance. Still a wonderful truck!

Good Truck
By Maddog on 07/25/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck used and it now has 115,000 miles on the 3.9 V-6. The truck does not use any oil and runs well. The 5 speed manual has nice gear spacing and is easy to use. I average 18-19 around town and 20-22 on the highway. The quad cab is useful and it does what I need it to do. Good truck Dodge!

Just keep walking passed a Dodge
By GI Tiger on 03/07/07 21:34 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I had the V8 crew cab, nice and roomy, but to much dead space. Dodge could of had more compartments and better use of the wide open spaces. The cab would creek,moan and crackle. One of the weirdest trucks I've ever owned (5 mons). resale/trade-in was really bad. I took a $8000 bath on this one. The worst truck I ever bought, If it wasn't in the shop, it was setting because the the starter, lights, sinsors staying on or something else

It's the suspension stupid
By Dan H on 07/30/05 18:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Dakota. The ball joints have been replaced on both twice now.Other than that, it's a good little truck. 18/19 mpg and I make it work for its gas. The transmission is quirky, but still going strong, and I will likely buy another. The brakes arenot too good

Given up on Dodge
By Chuck on 05/25/05 14:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Thought I would "buy American" and get the Dodge Dakota 4 dr crew. Love its style, comforts, more power than I need (4.7L V8) 2WD has no traction in snow or ice. Very easy to drive and comfortable 6ft.2 220lbs.(2 trips NJ to Calif.) Gas mileage stinks...13-18mpg, no loads. Brake rotors replaced 28K, Left top ball joint worn (no recall yet)A/C needed charging, Right front hub and bearings replaced 49K, rear leaf spring noisy, transmission hesitation occasionally. Great truck to drive and haul but reliability really in question with only 49K. Probably back to Nissan or Toyota.

silver bullet dakota quad
By blackdakota on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

No problems after 55k miles. Plenty of room for 4 adults, plus bikes and luggage in the bed. Works all day then is stylish for a night on the town. Leaves all other compact and some full- size pickups in the dust.

Ok but not great
By RLMSr on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Have 51600 miles, mostly highway. Had it to do over, I might not buy it again. Gas mileage for 4.7 V8 terrible in mixed driving - 14.6 mpg avg last 3 tanks - most of my daily trips are 75% highway. Steering failed (shafts separated) at 48575 mi - lucky for us I was at 25 mph on and empty street not 45 mins before on the interstate. Dodge did fix for free despite being out of warranty, but I had to borrow a car for two days. Very comfortable inerior. Floor tray doesn't allow for middle passenger's feet. Rear seats very comfortable, as roomy as our Impala. Bed length is same w/gate down as my Ranger was w/gate down, but it could be longer. Turning rad

Great Value
By marinedig1us on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Very dependable, reliable. Well powered.

2002 Dakota SLT Plus
By vettemanpc on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck for day to day use, however it is lacking in the following areas. Fair interior, lacks style/plain. no white face guages,red tail lights,amber turn lights, Could use some restyling to reflect a more ram like appearance. Dodge should also offer more choices regading performance & handling options on the 4 door truck. Ram Air option would be also a good idea. Disappointed with fuel milage and performance with 5.9 approx 17mpg on highway dispite several modifications. For a 5.9L I expected a lot more power in this size truck.