Used 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Misfiring when moisture in air
By southpaw9

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I start my Dakota in the morning and there is moisture in the air, it will misfire and shake and go away when I drive for 5 minutes. Today, it's been raining all day and I went to go start it and it won't start. It will crank over but that's it. fuel pump turns on, coils have a shock to plugs, jump start didn't work. I don't know what to look at. Can anyone help?

Great Overall Truck
By gmax86

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in October of '05 with 53k miles on it. I now have a little over 93k on it and I haven't had any major problems so far which is to be expected on a vehicle with less than 125k and normal driving conditions. The ride is very comfortable for a pickup truck with above average handling. I also love the size, not too small and not too big. The only thing I'm not impressed with my truck is the interior could be better. It's cheap plastic. My glove box handle fell off and almost every peice of plastic has at least 1 small crack on it. But overall I love this truck. It's my second Dakota (had an '88) and I'm not sure if I'd ever get anything other than a Dakota. Dodge rocks!

Favorite Features

I love the large center console. Offers plenty of room. Also love the layout for the cupholders. More convenient than I've seen in other vehicles. I also love the tuff appearence, much sharper than the other trucks in the segemnt.

Suggested Improvements

Use better plastic for the interior. How does a glove box handle break anyways when I barely used it? Gas mileage could be better but I'm still glad I went with the 3.9L V6.

Geat Truck
By Bryan

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 3.9L v6 with 87k mi on it. No major problem as would be expected for a truck with this much mileage. Only problem is from time to time the evap system triggers the check engine light, a trip to Autozone fixes that. Gas mileage could definitely be better. I drive approx 20 miles a day to work, and bought the truck when I went to school right down the street. Most fun to drive of any other vehicle I've owned. For a truck with this much power it is still easily driven in inclement weather if you know what you are doing, if not you're in trouble quickly. Another bad feature is the the center console was designed for the automatic and they didn't change it for the manual, can get in way

Favorite Features

Comfort: I have never felt more comfortable driving any vehicle. The stick has a very comfortable throw to it. It is longer than my friends vehicles and I would not have it any other way. It seriously feels as if the truck was made for somebody of my size. (6'3", muscular build). Very study build too

Suggested Improvements

Change the center console to accommodate for the manual transmission. I don't like how I have a cup holder I can't use.

look for something else!
By luca66

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I was so hoping this would be a great truck to keep for always...in a word...not! Electrical, air, engine problems. should of bought a toyota. No resale value, not dependable, and the service dept too lax ( at least here in L.A.). It quickly runs through a tank of gas and can be as expensive as a luxury SUV...on premium fuel. In conclusion...sadly disappointed with this vehicle and can't wait to get rid of it. Like the other reviewer stated...good for the first 20k miles after that...good luck. Sorry dodge, but work a little harder on your product...looks cool, but that ain't enough kid.

Favorite Features

exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

Make a better turning radius, better built parts and design(interior). parts, and monitor your dealership service departments...they want to get by doing the least amount of work...and the vehicle is under warranty. Bad reflexion for the dodge company.

4.7 very impressive 3:92 gear
By wozz123

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

all in all a really good truck

Favorite Features

my favorite featrure would have to be the acceleration of the 4.7 liter engine

Suggested Improvements

DODGE NEEDS TO ADD A THIRD DOOR FOR THE CLUB CAB MODELS. IT NEEDS A TIGHTER TURNING RADIUS. IT NEEDS BETTER CUP HOLDERS POSSIBLY SOME THAT COME OUT OF THE DASH