Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Dakota sxt v6 regular cab
By mainer351

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Best and most reliable truck ever owned. When I first got it, needed a computer and some maintenance after that it runs like a champ and it does what I ask it to do and never lets me down. The 3.9 v6 magnum starts right up in sub zero temps in the middle of brutal Maine winters and runs strong. The truck gets up and goes with the 3.92 rear , while its missing top end power. The 4wd in the truck is awesome with good clearance and it out classes any fords, chevys, and toyotas offroad. Take this truck to rugged Maine north country offroad through mud holes , rivers and mountains every summer to go camping and its never giving me a problem. Very good looking truck and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The looks of the truck with the dark blue and gray bumpers and grill give it a rugged appearance. Like everything else about the truck

Suggested Improvements

mpg 13/16 4spd auto

Awsome
By Bogey69

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck I have owned yet. Went looking for a new one this summer and was not happy. They have nothing like this out there. Ford and Chevy gave up making Rangers and S-10's. Toyota has a smaller interior. This truck has been excellent in upper Michigan. In snow and off road it handles like a champ. Never had any major issues yet and has been a joy to drive. I plan on keeping it for another 80K. Why spend money on the new junk! The 4.7l V8 really goes and has tons of power that can tow a 24 ft trailer with no problem.

Reliability!
By Operator398

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new, and have done the maintenance. (4.7 V8, automatic) It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 148,000 miles and counting. Cost per mile for maintenance and repairs is only $0.025. 19.6 MPG since the day I bought it(I have a soft tonneau on it). It still looks good and has no squeaks or rattles. I'm very happy with this truck.

Favorite Features

Looks, reliability, sound system (stock AM/FM/CD).

Suggested Improvements

None

Best vehicle I've owned
By Roger vlietstra

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2002 and have loved it all the while. Only had to replace an o2 sensor. My previous truck was an Isuzu and the Dakota is a million times better. I haul welders, tools and a trailer, so it gets used. I expect to get another 8 years out of it. I get about 13 mpg with tools in and about 17 mpg empty. I put an extra leaf spring in it to help haul the weight which was a great idea.

Favorite Features

smooth quiet ride and handling

Suggested Improvements

make the dashboard dish deeper so my sunglasses don't go flying off when going around corners.

Misfiring when moisture in air
By southpaw9

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I start my Dakota in the morning and there is moisture in the air, it will misfire and shake and go away when I drive for 5 minutes. Today, it's been raining all day and I went to go start it and it won't start. It will crank over but that's it. fuel pump turns on, coils have a shock to plugs, jump start didn't work. I don't know what to look at. Can anyone help?