It is actually a truck
By duncan16 on
2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)
I'm part of the minority that uses their truck for the reason it was built. I hook up trailers, load up the bed with mulch, rocks, trees, junk, construction materials and occasionally friends. Even when my engine was dying @250,000 miles, the truck never quit, I've put a new engine in it and it has a new lease on life. Vehicles break, require maintenance and occasionally have failed parts. More often then not the people who hate their vehicles or say they are junk, don't take care of them. Yes there are completely junk vehicles, but I will say this is definitely not one of them. My vehicle: 2001 Quad Cab, 4x4, Automatic 4 speed (5 speed now), 4.7L V8, SLT, few added options
Favorite Features
Simplicity, inexpensive parts, ability to customize, truck has more potential then from the factory, perfect sizing. The Quad Cab option gives you an SUV and a pick up truck without any real compromises. I'm an amateur mechanic and a gear head. My truck isn't from the "factory" anymore, it is better! No I didn't lift it, I just made my truck more suitable for my work. Which I think is the best feature of the Dakota, each one of them you can make your own.
Suggested Improvements
Bring the Dakota back. Not as a fashion statement like the Ram 1500 or suburbanite like a Honda Ridgeline. We need a solid work truck again, as anyone who does industrial, labor or agricultural work. We need another 15-20k work truck. I do wish it was a solid front axle, however the independent front suspension ride is very comfortable, almost car like. Also the Dakota should have the same capabilities as a 1500 and just be smaller.