Fun to Drive, But Don't Always Crank Tun
By Joe on
2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)
I bought mine Sept. '01 and have no plans to trade in. Truck is fun to drive and holds its own on the highway. Wish it had a more comfortable ride and driver-friendly features so I could keep my eye on the road. On a road trip to the Indy 500 (my bro lives in Indy) 2 yrs ago, I blew the bearings in the a/c compressor-took it to a friend of my bro, and he had to replace the whole compressor. Dealer put sealant in to "fix" a/c leak I complained about,and (according to this dude) that's the problem. I turn down tunes now & then and listen to her run but so far its fine. Front suspension poor causes lots of wear and tear but so far not enough for me to trade in. I can still rely on it.
Favorite Features
V8 is great for highway, heavy loads, and pulling stumps. With weight in back does fine in ice/snow. Nice big side mirrors helps limit blind spots (but I still have 'em). Easy to top off fluids and check belts which is the extent of my mechanical skills. Most of all, I can rely on it.
Suggested Improvements
Stock speakers stink and replacement tough-not a do-yourself for me. Access to back seat to throw in a case of beer stinks-seats "flip" & has knocked me silly a few times. Rear seat belts fall in cracks which with poor seat movement is a battle. Wider tires.