2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
01 Quadcab 4X4
By Monty Rogers on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have been satisfied with the overall performance of the truck. There have been reports with the ball joint issues that concern me. The engine has been missing since the truck hit 38,000 miles, from time to time. I have taken it to the dealership(Walters Dodge) on two separate occasions for the problem. The problem remians persistant. Regards, Mr. Monty Dale Rogers

Looks great but doesn't hold up
By vhall9953 on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Dodge makes very attractive and comfortable trucks. I only wish they did as good of a job making them reliable. I had the transmission completely rebuilt at 30K miles, and had to have a major overhaul on the breaking system at 32K. I am now at 45K and the transmission is slipping like it did before the first rebuild. I have religiously maintened the vehicle, so it is very frustrating to have so many problems. After I get it back this time, I am going to shop for an F150 or Titan and get out of Dodge. My recommendation: if Dodge does sucker you with the cosmetics or Hemi ads, buy the extended warranty. It will save you a fortune in the long run.

4.7L auto quad cab 2WD
By lacasa on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Despite the numerous warranty items that have been replaced, I like the truck's mechanical reliability. What broke? Door lock switches constantly cycling to 'unlock', leather steering wheel peeled, shifter boot on the column ripped, battery shorted, driver's door window regulator mechanism popped, cruise control broke (bad switch somehere). Averages about 19mpg on the highway and 16mpg in the city. Mine has just about every option.

Disappointed in reliability
By viper081149 on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Unfortunately, after 36,500 miles, it has been in the shop several times. Rack and pinion system replaced already & is now in for transmission work. "Check engine" light has sent it to the shop four times in less than a year. First two times were vacumn problem, the third time they couldn't find anything (still under warranty By about 400 miles) and now, 500 miles after the warranty expired, they found a transmission problem that is going to cost me $550. To be fair to the selling dealership, it is about 20 miles away in Cornelius, NC and is not the dealership screwing around with me. The culprit is Keffer Dodge here in Charlotte.

fun to drive
By chaddlie on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never thought I would own a truck but now I'm glad I give it a try. I love it!

Great truck, good looks, good handling
By Nic Nelson on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Dakota since August of 01 and in that time I have never had any problems with it what so ever. The only thing that I have done to since I bought it is replace the serpentine belt at forty thousand miles. Other than that she has run like a dream and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Nothing but trouble!
By redbeard on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Back to dealer 8 times. Needed front brakes at 16,000 not under warranty. Also had to replace master cylinder, rear brake cylinders. Brakes still not workign right. Dealer service terrible. Now in shop at 23,000 miles needing new rack and pinion unit, front crankcase seal leaking oil, transmission needs rebuild, stereo fried, passenger door internal components for latch all need to be replaced. It's been in the shop 4 days and dealer refuses loaner because no extended warranty purchased. Never another Dodge. See www.dodgedakotas.com for info on all problems with this truck.

dodge dakota quadcab
By dick02050 on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

great vehicle only had one item needing warranty work. It was a switch that came loose.

Good Buy
By matty23 on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

We just bought a used quad cab Dakota and it was an excellent buy. We got the 5.9L V8 and were getting like 16.8 mpg. It also has flowmasters on it and sounds wonderful. This trucks fulfills all my needs in a vehicle. It was a great buy!

Some problems but I still love It!!
By Frank OH on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I drove my new truck home. I had it towed back to the dealer an hour later. The radiator hose came off in my driveway. I've had the heater core replaced,it leaked on the floor of the cab. I had the steering column replaced, the tilt wheel lever came off in my hand. Other then these problems I love it. Thats what warranties are for.