2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
AN EXPENSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT
By artbides on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Dakota used in January 2004. It has been back to the dealer, four times in the past 8 months for electrical problems. They replace the PCM, CTM, fuel pump and several other electrical items. I looked on the internet to see if anyone has had these same problems and found hundreds of people experienced the exact same problems with their Dakotas. You would think Dodge would replace these items for free because some many people have had problems but they haven't. These electrical problems are serious and it has been very expensive. I will be getting rid of this truck soon.

Junker
By Michael Arthur on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Front-end parts ware out way too easy 30000 tierod ends gone out 35000 Ball joints gone

Perfect P/U!
By flyboy1 on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Watched Dakota for 10 years, waiting for AWD option. Got 4.7 SLT ExCab w/ all bells & whistles + HD suspension pack, AWD/full Time 4WD, 3.92 diff., as soon as it hit lot. Use to haul 1500# slide-in over cab pop-up camper sized for Dak. in western US in all types wx and terrain w/o a single problem! Hauls more than standard F150 or Chev 1500 + easily parks in my garage(which full size truck won't). 17mpg @70- 80mph w/o load; 12 with. GREAT TRUCK!

2001 dodge dakota
By fly on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck . I run the heck out of it and it keeps coming back.

Great Truck
By KWKSS on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As a courier, I drive hard and fast. I carry heavy loads, The truck is able to outperform any other truck in the fleet. It has never left me on the road dead.

good
By Dan goodrich on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

loved the whole vehicle and i will eventually buy a new one when the time comes to get rid of this one

2001 Dakota SLT 2 Door 2WD Extended Cab
By Dakota Brave on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Dakota 4.7L V8 for 2 1/2 years. The V8 gives me the ability to merge quickly with fast acceleration It's awesome. Still, I can get over 20 miles per gallon at 70 mph. In town though it is a little heavy on gas. The ride is very comfortable. The only complaint I've had is a slow action on one power window. It works, but is slow in one spot. I intend to get it worked on before the warranty is up. I would say reliability and quality overall has been excellent.

Never left me in a lurch
By Webtiger on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I love my truck but the engineering and component quality leave a lot to be desired. 4 wheel drive problems with rear pinion seal leakage replaced 3 times. Slip yoke is always the culprit with this problem. Have also had the rear drive shaft replaced last warranty visit along with 3rd rear pinion seal replacement. Brake rotors turned 3 times can't get more than 12,000 miles without pulsation setting in. The dealer has been fantastic about addressing all the problems with this truck I would highly recommend you shop a dealer as much as price.

My Crew Cab
By ElmoJr on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Good tires, excellent handling, Most driving was in a 50 to 100 mile radius from home. One trip out of state for 300 plus miles one way. Gas mileage was as rated from dealer. Has rubber matin pickup bed.

Sway bar problem
By Professorold on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have been satisfied with the truck, with one exception... it has developed a very bad squeak due to the sway bar moving inside the outer bushings. Dakota forums expose this as a common problem, but Dodge has made no effort to help consumers with it. To date, there is no cure, just a very expensive temporary fix - have Dodge replace parts for inflated costs.