2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Excellent Truck
By Adam on 01/13/05 21:24 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck since it was brand new. It has been an excellent truck and hasn't given me any problems other than the ball joints, which were easily replaced.

2001 Dodge Dakota /quad 4X4
By patrick barrett on 01/10/05 20:03 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

16-17 mpg / lots of power from 4.7 v8 engine. Comfortable seating with the bench seat in front. One of the smoothest rides you"ll find from a truck with V-8 power.

Dakota 4-Door 2 Wheel Drive.
By R Hooge on 12/17/04 10:58 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I love the looks and its fun to drive if the roads are dry. Great engine, the V8 is free-revving. The expected gas mileage of 17 city & 22 highway is way too optimistic. I do not drive this vehicle hard & the estiamtes are 15% to 20% too high. Very poor traction & handling on wet roads, the Goodyear Eagles seem to have very poor traction, and I have had lots of flat tires. Corners very well on smooth dry surfaces. Really bounces around on bumpy corners, almost out of control.

My truck
By dockpepper on 12/16/04 19:50 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck to haul the family, and for my side jobs. It did both very well. The first snow fall was 16", the truck handled it like it was nothing. The gas mileage is the only thing that kills you in the pocket. Otherwise the truck is great.

2001 Dakota Quad
By tcsmpsi on 11/30/04 13:09 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

From the day one, we experienced exceptional service and pleasure from this vehicle. Driven in many different conditions, we never experienced any unpleasant 'surprises'.

Dakota
By mbalon on 11/17/04 16:47 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

2nd Dakota in a row....Would not trade unless buying another Dakota. Love my truck!

Lemon
By Scottf on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck new in 2001. repairs to date: paint peeled off wheel flares, steering column, steering rack, intermediate steering column, four ball joints, tie-rod end, front pads & rotors, computer, rear bumper(rusted out), driver seat tracks, radio. I don't think I went more than a month without a visit to a dealership. What a poor excuse for a truck.

Looks great, but...
By Buy a Toyota on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought brand new in 2001. I am very unhappy with the quality and reliability of the vehicle. It only has 43K miles on it and I have already had to replace both rear U joints to the tune of $400. I have owned many trucks and never had to replace U joints at this low a mileage. In addition, we paid for an extended warranty, but the warranty company went out of business so we are stuck having paid the cost of the warranty but still have to pay for the repairs! Dealer says sorry but there is nothing they can do.

Dakota Quad Cab
By TN_Leo on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck -had to add padding to the bench seat to fit my back - but once I got the seat to fit me - it is a blast to drive with the small V8 handles loads very well

Good Enough
By DodgeOwner12 on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I got the truck in april of 2001. The Dakota has ample leg room in the front but it is not the best in the rear for tall people. I have the Dk. Garnet Red paint which is one hin coat and then the primer. It scratches very easily. The 5.9 V8 has a lot of power which makes it fun to drive. It has the Infinity 6 speaker sound system which has really great quality sound. The only problems are that it went back to the shop about every month till it hit 30,000 miles.