2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Dakota Dreamin'
By Prosbo on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I always felt like I was a truck man at heart. I changed my mind after my first truck experience. I bought a small Japanese pickup back in the early eighties. Well, it took me until 2001 to try again. Now I have my dream truck, a Dodge Dakota. It rides smoother than my car. It has a great 4.7 V-8 that gives some great power for passing. It has a quiet cab and great stereo sound. The fourwheel drive works nice and easy.

happy with it
By johnny on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent truck with noticeable advantages to larger trucks. Easy to get into and use bed - lower to ground. Only drawback is 15 mpg average.

Better than a full size
By kdrp on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is a heck of a truck. it can pull over 6000 pounds, accelerate faster than most cars, and has room for the whole family.

Bad Quality - Nice Ride
By nwdodgeguy on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Been in the shop twice so far at 24,000 miles. Worst problems: 2 oil leaks from the oil pan and rear main seal, and a tranny leak from the output shaft seal. Bad hub bearing replaced.

Dakota
By snowman on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Truck has worked out really well for light hauling, running around town. Rides well.

Dakota
By Snowman on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

A great truck
By Lucifer on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Consumer Reports doesn't give a high rating. I have a V8 5 speed manual and find it a great truck in every regard. Had a 1995 one before and loved that one also. My other cars are a 1999 Audi A6 Avant and a 1998 530 BMW (stick shift) and I still love driving the Dakota/

Great Truck
By ADBell on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for 18 months and I love it. I have taken it off-road to some very remote places and it aleays gets me there and back. It is very comfortable and the reliable 4.7L V8 has tons of power, not to mention it sounds wonderful. There is plenty of room to haul passengers too.

Mighty Blue Dodge
By Mighty Blue Dodge on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

My old 1993 Dodge Dakota was killed by a lady turning into a coffee shop. Although it had no airbags I walked away after a 35 mph crash (seatbelts are good). I replaced the old '93 4x2 sport with a '01 4x4 sport. Other than a couple of minor squeaks which the dealership fixed up for me I've enjoyed it immensely.

Happy Camper
By Kevin@ga on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my truck new and fully loaded. I looked at full sized trucks but the fun factor on the Dakota made it the hands down choice. I've towed a 12 foot trailer 600 miles with no problems but primarily use it to haul people and light cargo. To date the truck has been pretty well trouble free and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing!