Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Horrible
By Rich

2001 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty sure I got a lemon. Ever since I've had the thing something stays wrong with it, and every time I go to get something fixed it's never fixed right the first time, no matter who the mechanic is, just an all around poor experience. I'll never do Dodge again. After 90,000 miles here's what has failed: Window gears broke leaking main seal leaking differential seal Both control arms replaced Throttle body problems(not sure what but cost me $1300 to fix, some sort of valve) ALL windows leak including windshield Transmission slips O2 sensors went out ECM failed Stabilizer bar joints worn out b/c seals failed Warped wheel bearing.

None

Better quality.

Fun to Drive, But Don't Always Crank Tun
By Joe

2001 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought mine Sept. '01 and have no plans to trade in. Truck is fun to drive and holds its own on the highway. Wish it had a more comfortable ride and driver-friendly features so I could keep my eye on the road. On a road trip to the Indy 500 (my bro lives in Indy) 2 yrs ago, I blew the bearings in the a/c compressor-took it to a friend of my bro, and he had to replace the whole compressor. Dealer put sealant in to "fix" a/c leak I complained about,and (according to this dude) that's the problem. I turn down tunes now & then and listen to her run but so far its fine. Front suspension poor causes lots of wear and tear but so far not enough for me to trade in. I can still rely on it.

V8 is great for highway, heavy loads, and pulling stumps. With weight in back does fine in ice/snow. Nice big side mirrors helps limit blind spots (but I still have 'em). Easy to top off fluids and check belts which is the extent of my mechanical skills. Most of all, I can rely on it.

Stock speakers stink and replacement tough-not a do-yourself for me. Access to back seat to throw in a case of beer stinks-seats "flip" & has knocked me silly a few times. Rear seat belts fall in cracks which with poor seat movement is a battle. Wider tires.

Speed and Power
By Nick N

2001 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is a great vehicle that I use as a daily driver and it has always gotten me from point A to B. This truck has a very nice speed for being the 3.9 V6 and has a lot of torque. The only downfall is that the fuel economy is ok for a vehicle. I get about 18mpg in town and I get almost 24 on the highway. I have over 180,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had with the truck is an oil leak at the oil pan, which I have heard is a common problem with Chrysler's vehicles.

Powerful engine, nice stock speakers and rear subs, great handling, and can haul a ton of stuff.

Fuel Economy and the oil pan leak and the position of some of the spark plugs are hard to change. Lastly, the check engine light code for misfiring when nothing is wrong.

Love this truck!
By Haulsum@ss

2001 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great overall truck. although with 2 kids i wished i had bought a crew cab. this truck has never got me stuck. The 4.7 really hauls, handles great, and will get up and go when called upon. These trucks are some of the nicest on the road. It's definatly alot better of a ride than my 01 Dodge Ram.

Sleek stylin, oodles of power, and the 5spd tranny never gets old.

pass. side window switch doesn't work, and can't keep brakes on the front.

Good first
By Evan V

2001 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We got this with 29k miles for $7700 because it had blemishes in the hood paint from overwaxing and engine heat, and had a crappy bed cover. The computer that ran the lighting system broke the day we got it, and the passenger's window button didn't work. But those were easily replaced. This is my first vehicle, I like it because it is as big as the car I trained in, and has a bed for my fishing stuff. I had to buy new tailgate cables, as someone cut them. I also bought a locking gas cap for $15 and it fits, never too careful with gas at 4$ a gallon.

Bed length, engine, brakes, steering

standard locking tailgate, better air intake, heat shield for hood, and lighter colored controls, its hard to see the controls in an all black interior at night.