Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

13 years later
By fishinoregon

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've recently purchased a 13 year old Dakota Quad Cab. I looked for 6 weeks at all sorts of trucks but when it came down to it, this Dakota fit the bill best. Everything works and the truck runs strong with a good tight feel to it. Best part of this purchase was the truck had just 87,000 miles on it. It was well cared for and used during the previous owners summer vacations. The tan colored interior is in perfect shape and the bright red exterior has a nice shine to it. As long as the truck (and all others like it) is well cared for, it will be on the job for years to come. Happy traveling

Favorite Features

Favorites would be the 4 doors, the fold down front console, and the great visibility all around the truck with large mirrors and no real blind spot. The truck also hauls my work tailor without a problem, even while traveling uphill.

Suggested Improvements

Although I've not looked at newer models of the Dakota, I'm pretty sure Dodge has done a great job resolving any problems and improving the overall truck.

Would I do it again ? NO
By fatuglyold

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Dodge Dakota, October 2000 for $22,000, from a Shelton dealership that was a pleasure to buy from. A crew cab with a V-8 , plenty of power for towing my twenty foot trailer. It was the perfect fit for my growing family of four. It ran great for the first couple of years. It needs a new fuel pump to replace a check valve. It has had two radiators, a new AC pump, new front brakes and needs a new rear end. Will I buy another Dodge ? NO

Favorite Features

It is a pleasure to drive. Plenty of power and comfort. But it will nick and dime you with maintance before you get to the first 100,000 miles. Jap cars will run for 200,00 before any maintance.

Suggested Improvements

So Ií am in the market to get a new truck. So I check out the new trucks from both Dodge and Ford. So I go to their web sites and check out the features and prices are crazy !!! A great truck with all the features will run $55,000 dollars are you kidding me, My first house cost $55,000 dollars. Then, I see every truck on one lot has the smokers package, An ash tray and lighter cost an extra $30.00 . GPS, cameras and Satellite radio are excessive. So my point is that cars and trucks have become over built, over featured and overpriced. That customers have finally had enough of sticker shock and have refused to spend their hard earned money on over featured and low quality product

Dakota Quad 4.7 V-8
By robmir1

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 that I purchased in 2009 and it had 138,000 km I drove it only on occasion but now it is a 4.7 automatic daly driver and I have to say that it will handle what ever I make it do!. Wow My truck takes better care of me then I do of it... go figure? I believe that this truck was built on the right day of the week as it is not a lemon. And it is true about what day of the week it was built! Anyway I would buy a Dodge in a heart beat again and again.

Best Truck Ever
By dmtrask

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck new in August 2001 and have enjoyed it ever since. Plenty of power from the 4.7L V8, great body style, and reliable from the get-go. I have 165,000 miles on the truck and it doesn't eat a lick of oil between changes (every 3000 miles). Best of all, it does everything I ask of it. It tows my trailer with no problem at all, hauls most anything that will fit in the bed, and doesn't seem to be pressed no matter what the cargo.

Favorite Features

Best part of the truck is the engine/transmission. The 4.7L V8 is strong enough for any task and the acceleration is great. The transmission shifts smoothly with no power lag. Overall, very well engineered and a joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Had some problems with the automatic window/motors. Had to replace three of the four so far. No other issues that are out of norm for the mileage and age of the vehicle.

Great Truck
By Jason

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my truck (4.7 2wd quad) new November 2000. I get 24 highway and 18 mixed driving. I have a camper shell on it so maybe that helps with the better mileage as compared to other postings. Over these 9+ years I have had one window motor, Oxygen sensor, air- bag sensor go out, about $900 dollars total from the dealer. No other problems with the truck so far.

Favorite Features

Size, styling, power, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

A slightly larger more comfortable back seat.