Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Pros vs Cons
By jhtet101

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

My spouse and I have own ours since 2009: Pros: - Since we purchased a quad cab: Carries family and big items at the same time not a lot of trips - Super comfortable - great back up car - powerful - sturdy frame Cons: - Since owning it, we have fixed both front calibers (I believe driver side twice within wk apart), all the window gears more than one time, some of hydraulic metal lines (almost caught on fire), now has a burning smell again, also our fuel gauge never worked correctly - we don't get 19 highway miles or 16 city miles, we get maybe 8, about 54 miles per a tank. Thought we have fixed somethings multiple times, I do still like it.

Favorite Features

Comfort,

Suggested Improvements

the parts are cheaply made and break to easliy

200,200 and Keeps Going
By nmtbaron

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Dakota Sport crew cab V8 4.7 all wheel drive truck with 200,200 as of 3/5/14. It's such a great truck! It's a champ in the snow and sand. Most of my driving is city and highway. I change the oil every 4000 miles using 10w-40. Past repairs were minor. Truck gets 16 mpg with a performance kn air intake kit (highly recommend!). I was getting 13 mpg before installing the kit. I'm gonna drive it into the ground. Grey paint still looks great.

Favorite Features

Interior layout, doors open wide, all wheel drive, great at towing and off roading. It pulls the dune buggy and boat just fine.

Suggested Improvements

Rear end dances around over potholes, uneven pavement and uplifted road seams from asphalt to concrete. Truck rides better with a load in the bed.

13 years later
By fishinoregon

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've recently purchased a 13 year old Dakota Quad Cab. I looked for 6 weeks at all sorts of trucks but when it came down to it, this Dakota fit the bill best. Everything works and the truck runs strong with a good tight feel to it. Best part of this purchase was the truck had just 87,000 miles on it. It was well cared for and used during the previous owners summer vacations. The tan colored interior is in perfect shape and the bright red exterior has a nice shine to it. As long as the truck (and all others like it) is well cared for, it will be on the job for years to come. Happy traveling

Favorite Features

Favorites would be the 4 doors, the fold down front console, and the great visibility all around the truck with large mirrors and no real blind spot. The truck also hauls my work tailor without a problem, even while traveling uphill.

Suggested Improvements

Although I've not looked at newer models of the Dakota, I'm pretty sure Dodge has done a great job resolving any problems and improving the overall truck.

It is actually a truck
By duncan16

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I'm part of the minority that uses their truck for the reason it was built. I hook up trailers, load up the bed with mulch, rocks, trees, junk, construction materials and occasionally friends. Even when my engine was dying @250,000 miles, the truck never quit, I've put a new engine in it and it has a new lease on life. Vehicles break, require maintenance and occasionally have failed parts. More often then not the people who hate their vehicles or say they are junk, don't take care of them. Yes there are completely junk vehicles, but I will say this is definitely not one of them. My vehicle: 2001 Quad Cab, 4x4, Automatic 4 speed (5 speed now), 4.7L V8, SLT, few added options

Favorite Features

Simplicity, inexpensive parts, ability to customize, truck has more potential then from the factory, perfect sizing. The Quad Cab option gives you an SUV and a pick up truck without any real compromises. I'm an amateur mechanic and a gear head. My truck isn't from the "factory" anymore, it is better! No I didn't lift it, I just made my truck more suitable for my work. Which I think is the best feature of the Dakota, each one of them you can make your own.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the Dakota back. Not as a fashion statement like the Ram 1500 or suburbanite like a Honda Ridgeline. We need a solid work truck again, as anyone who does industrial, labor or agricultural work. We need another 15-20k work truck. I do wish it was a solid front axle, however the independent front suspension ride is very comfortable, almost car like. Also the Dakota should have the same capabilities as a 1500 and just be smaller.

200,000 and still going strong
By dkellyw

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Dodge Dakota (4x4 w/ 4.7L V-8) with about 150K miles on it. It now has 202,000 and still runs great. I started running Mobile 1 synthetic oil in it as soon as I bought it. The only serious problem I have had to fix was the leaking power steering pump. Typical Dodge truck. Mainly, that problem is just a nuisance. I did have to replace the main power window switch and the resistor for the heat/AC control, but those are cheap fixes you can do yourself. Other than that I love this truck. I am currently looking to buy a car because I know that the life of the truck is probably coming to an end, but she still starts every morning and I am gonna drive it until it quits.

Favorite Features

4x4, quad cab roomy, good looking truck with tonneau cover.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge needs to fix the power steering issue it has had for the last 20 years. I have yet to get a used Dodge truck that doesn't mark my driveway with power steering fluid.