2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
4.7 engine bad Tranny worse
By mike on 02/14/09 08:19 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Truck has only 52000 miles on it. Has electrical problems and the tranny slips and jerks like there is no tomorrow. With mileage this low I should have no problems, I take very good care of my vehicles. I was extremely disappointed. I traded it in yesterday!

Great Truck
By CA Snyder on 10/29/06 08:37 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in 2002 and it had 11,200 miles on it. I've owned a lot of trucks both foriegn and domestic, and this is a great truck. Other than normal wear and tear there have been no problems. I replaced rotors, brake pads and changed transmission fluid and filter at 58,000 miles.

2WD Extended Cab SLT Dakota
By John on 05/26/05 13:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Has been a great truck, and other than normal wear parts,(brakes, tires, etc...) I have had nothing wrong with it. Still drives like the day I got it.

AN EXPENSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT
By artbides on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Dakota used in January 2004. It has been back to the dealer, four times in the past 8 months for electrical problems. They replace the PCM, CTM, fuel pump and several other electrical items. I looked on the internet to see if anyone has had these same problems and found hundreds of people experienced the exact same problems with their Dakotas. You would think Dodge would replace these items for free because some many people have had problems but they haven't. These electrical problems are serious and it has been very expensive. I will be getting rid of this truck soon.

2001 Dakota SLT 2 Door 2WD Extended Cab
By Dakota Brave on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Dakota 4.7L V8 for 2 1/2 years. The V8 gives me the ability to merge quickly with fast acceleration It's awesome. Still, I can get over 20 miles per gallon at 70 mph. In town though it is a little heavy on gas. The ride is very comfortable. The only complaint I've had is a slow action on one power window. It works, but is slow in one spot. I intend to get it worked on before the warranty is up. I would say reliability and quality overall has been excellent.

Disappointed in reliability
By viper081149 on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Unfortunately, after 36,500 miles, it has been in the shop several times. Rack and pinion system replaced already & is now in for transmission work. "Check engine" light has sent it to the shop four times in less than a year. First two times were vacumn problem, the third time they couldn't find anything (still under warranty By about 400 miles) and now, 500 miles after the warranty expired, they found a transmission problem that is going to cost me $550. To be fair to the selling dealership, it is about 20 miles away in Cornelius, NC and is not the dealership screwing around with me. The culprit is Keffer Dodge here in Charlotte.

fun to drive
By chaddlie on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never thought I would own a truck but now I'm glad I give it a try. I love it!

best truck out there
By loveeveryminofit on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After 36,000 mile i have on my truck still running smooth. my is a 5 speed i use my truck driving on highway and easy tour around my place. the V-6 is little weak like the chev s-10 and the ford ranger should use a little kick out of it of the v-6 gas mile not bad i getting anything 22-24 mile a gal. just cost alot money fill up the gas pump.

Love My Dodge
By PaulNY on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Dakota Since October 00. 32,000 miles later, I have had no problems. It's Comfortable, and looks and drives great. However, living in a colder climate, my only regret is not getting the 4x4.

Solid Truck
By RKMNY on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Solid Truck but needs some minor adjustments. Put on Edlebrock IAS Shocks with Power Slot rotors. Truck drives like a car, now. Add a restriction free exhaust (Gibson) with a AirRaid Air Filter system and the 4.7 liter motor comes alive.