Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Base Club Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

4.7 engine bad Tranny worse
By mike

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Truck has only 52000 miles on it. Has electrical problems and the tranny slips and jerks like there is no tomorrow. With mileage this low I should have no problems, I take very good care of my vehicles. I was extremely disappointed. I traded it in yesterday!

Favorite Features

Looks good

Suggested Improvements

Redesign power train and electrical

Great Truck
By CA Snyder

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in 2002 and it had 11,200 miles on it. I've owned a lot of trucks both foriegn and domestic, and this is a great truck. Other than normal wear and tear there have been no problems. I replaced rotors, brake pads and changed transmission fluid and filter at 58,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The engine is great, ride is great, and it's comfortable to drive

Suggested Improvements

Have a four speed automatic as standard.

2WD Extended Cab SLT Dakota
By John

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Has been a great truck, and other than normal wear parts,(brakes, tires, etc...) I have had nothing wrong with it. Still drives like the day I got it.

Favorite Features

Driving position is very comfortable, especially for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Has the 3.9L V6. Pick up is a little sluggish on the highway, especially between 50-65 MPH. Over 65 acceleration is fine. I think the overdrive just kicks in a little too soon.

AN EXPENSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT
By artbides

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Dakota used in January 2004. It has been back to the dealer, four times in the past 8 months for electrical problems. They replace the PCM, CTM, fuel pump and several other electrical items. I looked on the internet to see if anyone has had these same problems and found hundreds of people experienced the exact same problems with their Dakotas. You would think Dodge would replace these items for free because some many people have had problems but they haven't. These electrical problems are serious and it has been very expensive. I will be getting rid of this truck soon.

Favorite Features

The V-8 4.9L is fun!

Suggested Improvements

Major blind spots to the drivers left. Fix the major electrical and reliability problems. From what I have read they haven't solved the reliability problems with the new Dodges also.

2001 Dakota SLT 2 Door 2WD Extended Cab
By Dakota Brave

2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Dakota 4.7L V8 for 2 1/2 years. The V8 gives me the ability to merge quickly with fast acceleration It's awesome. Still, I can get over 20 miles per gallon at 70 mph. In town though it is a little heavy on gas. The ride is very comfortable. The only complaint I've had is a slow action on one power window. It works, but is slow in one spot. I intend to get it worked on before the warranty is up. I would say reliability and quality overall has been excellent.

Favorite Features

I like the V8 power best. The outdoor temp gauge, fuel economy readout, etc., are interesting. I love the power seat and its comfort, a must when buying it. Having a mid sized, very agile truck, not as small as the Ranger, Tacoma, S- 10 and all the rest, to me is great.

Suggested Improvements

A rear side door on the extended cab would be nice. I don't think they offer it.