Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Horrible
By Rich

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty sure I got a lemon. Ever since I've had the thing something stays wrong with it, and every time I go to get something fixed it's never fixed right the first time, no matter who the mechanic is, just an all around poor experience. I'll never do Dodge again. After 90,000 miles here's what has failed: Window gears broke leaking main seal leaking differential seal Both control arms replaced Throttle body problems(not sure what but cost me $1300 to fix, some sort of valve) ALL windows leak including windshield Transmission slips O2 sensors went out ECM failed Stabilizer bar joints worn out b/c seals failed Warped wheel bearing.

None

Better quality.

Speed and Power
By Nick N

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is a great vehicle that I use as a daily driver and it has always gotten me from point A to B. This truck has a very nice speed for being the 3.9 V6 and has a lot of torque. The only downfall is that the fuel economy is ok for a vehicle. I get about 18mpg in town and I get almost 24 on the highway. I have over 180,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had with the truck is an oil leak at the oil pan, which I have heard is a common problem with Chrysler's vehicles.

Powerful engine, nice stock speakers and rear subs, great handling, and can haul a ton of stuff.

Fuel Economy and the oil pan leak and the position of some of the spark plugs are hard to change. Lastly, the check engine light code for misfiring when nothing is wrong.

Good first
By Evan V

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We got this with 29k miles for $7700 because it had blemishes in the hood paint from overwaxing and engine heat, and had a crappy bed cover. The computer that ran the lighting system broke the day we got it, and the passenger's window button didn't work. But those were easily replaced. This is my first vehicle, I like it because it is as big as the car I trained in, and has a bed for my fishing stuff. I had to buy new tailgate cables, as someone cut them. I also bought a locking gas cap for $15 and it fits, never too careful with gas at 4$ a gallon.

Bed length, engine, brakes, steering

standard locking tailgate, better air intake, heat shield for hood, and lighter colored controls, its hard to see the controls in an all black interior at night.

200,000+ still going strong!
By chevyman

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Passed CA smog at 183,000 with flying colors. No squeaks or rattles at all. Same mileage as new(crappy) I still love this truck. At 300,000 I will call Dodge and at 400,000. No leaks. As a precaution only, I changed the tranny at 189,000 to prevent any problems driving in the desert. People still tell me they like the way it drives. I own a 2001 Corvette so I know power, but this little truck gets up and goes.

Torque.

None.

Dakota R/T
By Dakota R/T

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have the R/T and obviously love the power. It is only rated for towing 2,000 pounds, but I've towed well over 3,500 pounds without any problems running the air conditioning full blast while driving up the mountains in the summertime. However, I've had lots of electrical problems, and the truck has broken down on me in the middle of the Arizona desert. In addition, I get 12 mpg in the city and 15 on the freeway.