2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Horrible
By Rich on 07/27/10 12:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty sure I got a lemon. Ever since I've had the thing something stays wrong with it, and every time I go to get something fixed it's never fixed right the first time, no matter who the mechanic is, just an all around poor experience. I'll never do Dodge again. After 90,000 miles here's what has failed: Window gears broke leaking main seal leaking differential seal Both control arms replaced Throttle body problems(not sure what but cost me $1300 to fix, some sort of valve) ALL windows leak including windshield Transmission slips O2 sensors went out ECM failed Stabilizer bar joints worn out b/c seals failed Warped wheel bearing.

Speed and Power
By Nick N on 10/22/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is a great vehicle that I use as a daily driver and it has always gotten me from point A to B. This truck has a very nice speed for being the 3.9 V6 and has a lot of torque. The only downfall is that the fuel economy is ok for a vehicle. I get about 18mpg in town and I get almost 24 on the highway. I have over 180,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had with the truck is an oil leak at the oil pan, which I have heard is a common problem with Chrysler's vehicles.

Good first
By Evan V on 07/01/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We got this with 29k miles for $7700 because it had blemishes in the hood paint from overwaxing and engine heat, and had a crappy bed cover. The computer that ran the lighting system broke the day we got it, and the passenger's window button didn't work. But those were easily replaced. This is my first vehicle, I like it because it is as big as the car I trained in, and has a bed for my fishing stuff. I had to buy new tailgate cables, as someone cut them. I also bought a locking gas cap for $15 and it fits, never too careful with gas at 4$ a gallon.

200,000+ still going strong!
By chevyman on 01/05/08 11:10 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Passed CA smog at 183,000 with flying colors. No squeaks or rattles at all. Same mileage as new(crappy) I still love this truck. At 300,000 I will call Dodge and at 400,000. No leaks. As a precaution only, I changed the tranny at 189,000 to prevent any problems driving in the desert. People still tell me they like the way it drives. I own a 2001 Corvette so I know power, but this little truck gets up and goes.

Dakota R/T
By Dakota R/T on 06/15/06 21:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have the R/T and obviously love the power. It is only rated for towing 2,000 pounds, but I've towed well over 3,500 pounds without any problems running the air conditioning full blast while driving up the mountains in the summertime. However, I've had lots of electrical problems, and the truck has broken down on me in the middle of the Arizona desert. In addition, I get 12 mpg in the city and 15 on the freeway.

Great Truck
By KWKSS on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As a courier, I drive hard and fast. I carry heavy loads, The truck is able to outperform any other truck in the fleet. It has never left me on the road dead.

Great truck, good looks, good handling
By Nic Nelson on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Dakota since August of 01 and in that time I have never had any problems with it what so ever. The only thing that I have done to since I bought it is replace the serpentine belt at forty thousand miles. Other than that she has run like a dream and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Dakota Standard - Great Truck
By boblonben on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Driven 150 plus miles daily . no problems no complains

Plan to keep it!
By circpro on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not a bad price with rebates, but does not hold it's value. Looks really sharp. Electrical problems with flashers 3 times. Eats way to much gas. Engine runs rough at idle (currently 14k miles) Has appeal for a young crowd!

Awesome Truck
By Charly on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this truck. Have a black Sport and it gets lots of looks and compliments. I've had it for two years and there have been no problems whatsoever. Very fun to drive as this thing is fast and powerful. Plenty of interior room; I'm 6'3" and not cramped at all. Gas mileage is terrible but if that's a problem don't buy the V8.