Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

owned MANY TRUCKS OVER 30 YEARS;
By john damphier sr

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I own an excavating company,i have a 2011 chevy 2500 hd 4x4 ect cab 9.3 boss plow.ltz, I use it for towing my 22ft skeeter bass boat and plowing,i bought this 01 Dakoda ext cab 4x4 auto with 4,7 v8 3;55 gears to run around and give prices on jobs, other than typicle dodge rust on fender wells,[witch I painted over] I completely undercoated, change oil to 10w-40 high mile valvaline, and applyied for 225,000 mile engine warrenty,fram filter, I cleaned air cleaner,degreased engine, put synthetic gear oil in, rear end and front diff, the interior looks new, I bought it with 111.361 miles,now has 114.940,i get 18 hwy,14 city,and on a long trip I got 19mpg @ 70 mph,the 4,7 has plenty of power.i did tow terex 60 skid steer,i had no problems, that's about 6600 pounds with trailor,you HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM,i love this truck and so does my labs,i plan on putting on a lot of miles,and I keep every thing stock,it looks sharp in black,i have an 2011 chevy 2500hd with 6.0 but don't like it on job sites,but towed 16,000 lbs, john deere 60 excavator and trailor, never had an issue.but that's my pride and joy,im sponser by skeeter bass boats and use it for that, I hope the dakota holds up,love the seats,and it does ride like a truck, tires are like new,42psi on all 4,i always bought new,but for a work 4x4 I didn't want spend 40k, I think I got a good deal, I bought from a dealer friend,1-owner trade, I paid 4800,truckprices in upstate ny are very high,so this was a steal,i seen 200kgofor 7k and 98-99 1500 chevy with over 200k-300k want 5k to 10 k,has bed liner and factory trailor tow,full power windows,locks,power seat, sliding glass,he put new brakes and rotors on for me,and wheelbarring,is the k@n air filter worth the money?i did put Z-MAX IN TRANNY SHIFTS SO SMOOTH,the 01 was a great model,very nice interior,i hope I have good luck,i had 1 dodge 04 1500 it was junk,it needed breaks every other month,i love the Dakota,thanks for letting me vent, how much will they really tow. I know what the owner manuals said,but I would like to hear from guys that tow,equipment,not a couple 4 wheelers.[big deal]how much pay load,on the 4.7 sport 6.5 box.

Almost 14 years and counting
By Paul J Tabone

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

My truck is a 3.9 with an A/T. Mileage has never been that great but I knew that going in. I've always been a Mopar guy and this truck doesn't disappoint. I admit that I don't drive it often In nearly 14 years I barely have 60K on it, but those miles have been good ones. I use it for work and play. It has hauled heavy loads distances or taken me on vacations in all kinds of weather and has always been a comfortable vehicle. The only thing it may be lacking is a few extra horses for the hilly bits, but for the most part the V6 has been adequate for my uses. I am happy with the way the truck handles on the open road and well as how it takes the twisty bits, and that with Goodyear Wranglers.

Seat comfort, driving position, general cabin ergonomics.

Better output of the V6 and better fuel economy. Heater and A/C output on drivers side is poor.

Pros vs Cons
By jhtet101

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

My spouse and I have own ours since 2009:

Pros:
- Since we purchased a quad cab: Carries family and big items at the same time not a lot of trips
- Super comfortable
- great back up car
- powerful
- sturdy frame

Cons:
- Since owning it, we have fixed both front calibers (I believe driver side twice within wk apart), all the window gears more than one time, some of hydraulic metal lines (almost caught on fire), now has a burning smell again, also our fuel gauge never worked correctly
- we don't get 19 highway miles or 16 city miles, we get maybe 8, about 54 miles per a tank.

Thought we have fixed somethings multiple times, I do still like it.

Comfort,

the parts are cheaply made and break to easliy

200,200 and Keeps Going
By nmtbaron

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Dakota Sport crew cab V8 4.7 all wheel drive truck with 200,200 as of 3/5/14. It's such a great truck! It's a champ in the snow and sand.
Most of my driving is city and highway. I change the oil every 4000 miles using 10w-40. Past repairs were minor.
Truck gets 16 mpg with a performance kn air intake kit (highly recommend!). I was getting 13 mpg before installing the kit. I'm gonna drive it into the ground. Grey paint still looks great.

Interior layout, doors open wide, all wheel drive, great at towing and off roading. It pulls the dune buggy and boat just fine.

Rear end dances around over potholes, uneven pavement and uplifted road seams from asphalt to concrete. Truck rides better with a load in the bed.

13 years later
By fishinoregon

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've recently purchased a 13 year old Dakota Quad Cab. I looked for 6 weeks at all sorts of trucks but when it came down to it, this Dakota fit the bill best.
Everything works and the truck runs strong with a good tight feel to it. Best part of this purchase was the truck had just 87,000 miles on it. It was well cared for and used during the previous owners summer vacations.
The tan colored interior is in perfect shape and the bright red exterior has a nice shine to it. As long as the truck (and all others like it) is well cared for, it will be on the job for years to come.

Happy traveling

Favorites would be the 4 doors, the fold down front console, and the great visibility all around the truck with large mirrors and no real blind spot. The truck also hauls my work tailor without a problem, even while traveling uphill.

Although I've not looked at newer models of the Dakota, I'm pretty sure Dodge has done a great job resolving any problems and improving the overall truck.