Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Almost 14 years and counting
By Paul J Tabone on 02/23/15 07:41 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

My truck is a 3.9 with an A/T. Mileage has never been that great but I knew that going in. I've always been a Mopar guy and this truck doesn't disappoint. I admit that I don't drive it often In nearly 14 years I barely have 60K on it, but those miles have been good ones. I use it for work and play. It has hauled heavy loads distances or taken me on vacations in all kinds of weather and has always been a comfortable vehicle. The only thing it may be lacking is a few extra horses for the hilly bits, but for the most part the V6 has been adequate for my uses. I am happy with the way the truck handles on the open road and well as how it takes the twisty bits, and that with Goodyear Wranglers.

Pros vs Cons
By jhtet101 on 02/04/15 07:05 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

My spouse and I have own ours since 2009: Pros: - Since we purchased a quad cab: Carries family and big items at the same time not a lot of trips - Super comfortable - great back up car - powerful - sturdy frame Cons: - Since owning it, we have fixed both front calibers (I believe driver side twice within wk apart), all the window gears more than one time, some of hydraulic metal lines (almost caught on fire), now has a burning smell again, also our fuel gauge never worked correctly - we don't get 19 highway miles or 16 city miles, we get maybe 8, about 54 miles per a tank. Thought we have fixed somethings multiple times, I do still like it.

200,200 and Keeps Going
By nmtbaron on 03/05/14 19:09 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Dakota Sport crew cab V8 4.7 all wheel drive truck with 200,200 as of 3/5/14. It's such a great truck! It's a champ in the snow and sand. Most of my driving is city and highway. I change the oil every 4000 miles using 10w-40. Past repairs were minor. Truck gets 16 mpg with a performance kn air intake kit (highly recommend!). I was getting 13 mpg before installing the kit. I'm gonna drive it into the ground. Grey paint still looks great.

13 years later
By fishinoregon on 02/12/14 11:38 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've recently purchased a 13 year old Dakota Quad Cab. I looked for 6 weeks at all sorts of trucks but when it came down to it, this Dakota fit the bill best. Everything works and the truck runs strong with a good tight feel to it. Best part of this purchase was the truck had just 87,000 miles on it. It was well cared for and used during the previous owners summer vacations. The tan colored interior is in perfect shape and the bright red exterior has a nice shine to it. As long as the truck (and all others like it) is well cared for, it will be on the job for years to come. Happy traveling

It is actually a truck
By duncan16 on 11/17/13 16:22 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I'm part of the minority that uses their truck for the reason it was built. I hook up trailers, load up the bed with mulch, rocks, trees, junk, construction materials and occasionally friends. Even when my engine was dying @250,000 miles, the truck never quit, I've put a new engine in it and it has a new lease on life. Vehicles break, require maintenance and occasionally have failed parts. More often then not the people who hate their vehicles or say they are junk, don't take care of them. Yes there are completely junk vehicles, but I will say this is definitely not one of them. My vehicle: 2001 Quad Cab, 4x4, Automatic 4 speed (5 speed now), 4.7L V8, SLT, few added options

200,000 and still going strong
By dkellyw on 04/13/13 05:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Dodge Dakota (4x4 w/ 4.7L V-8) with about 150K miles on it. It now has 202,000 and still runs great. I started running Mobile 1 synthetic oil in it as soon as I bought it. The only serious problem I have had to fix was the leaking power steering pump. Typical Dodge truck. Mainly, that problem is just a nuisance. I did have to replace the main power window switch and the resistor for the heat/AC control, but those are cheap fixes you can do yourself. Other than that I love this truck. I am currently looking to buy a car because I know that the life of the truck is probably coming to an end, but she still starts every morning and I am gonna drive it until it quits.

2001 4.7L Club Cab
By canudrivestick on 10/13/12 22:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Awsome truck. I inherrited it from my dad after I recieved my license almost 2 years ago. The only problem was he had driven it 190k miles before it got to me! So for the past two years I have enjoyed driving the truck and its pretty much perfect for me because of it maneuverability, power, and reliability. Unfortunately after 209,132 miles it has reached the end of the line. Will need serious work to fix the manifold and likely more after that. But with 12 years of driving in four season weather (brutal New England winters) and 210k miles how can I complain. Will be very sad to see it go.

Would I do it again ? NO
By fatuglyold on 09/16/11 03:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Dodge Dakota, October 2000 for $22,000, from a Shelton dealership that was a pleasure to buy from. A crew cab with a V-8 , plenty of power for towing my twenty foot trailer. It was the perfect fit for my growing family of four. It ran great for the first couple of years. It needs a new fuel pump to replace a check valve. It has had two radiators, a new AC pump, new front brakes and needs a new rear end. Will I buy another Dodge ? NO

Dakota Quad 4.7 V-8
By robmir1 on 12/12/10 20:30 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 that I purchased in 2009 and it had 138,000 km I drove it only on occasion but now it is a 4.7 automatic daly driver and I have to say that it will handle what ever I make it do!. Wow My truck takes better care of me then I do of it... go figure? I believe that this truck was built on the right day of the week as it is not a lemon. And it is true about what day of the week it was built! Anyway I would buy a Dodge in a heart beat again and again.

Horrible
By Rich on 07/27/10 12:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty sure I got a lemon. Ever since I've had the thing something stays wrong with it, and every time I go to get something fixed it's never fixed right the first time, no matter who the mechanic is, just an all around poor experience. I'll never do Dodge again. After 90,000 miles here's what has failed: Window gears broke leaking main seal leaking differential seal Both control arms replaced Throttle body problems(not sure what but cost me $1300 to fix, some sort of valve) ALL windows leak including windshield Transmission slips O2 sensors went out ECM failed Stabilizer bar joints worn out b/c seals failed Warped wheel bearing.