Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Very reliable
By Albert Flagg

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

I have had this truck for 4 years now.It is by far one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 when it only had 25,000 miles on it.I now have 92,000 miles on it and it still performs like a new truck. Everyone who rides it say it rides like a car.I have driven from georgia to Oklahoma several time without a glitch. Whenever I travel driving ,I drive my truck . I get complements all the time about how beautiful a truck it is. The only problems I have had is the air conditioner compressor went out and,the passenger door lock was humming when activated. Those problems were covered under the warranty and resolved. I think I can say I love my truck.

Favorite Features

Its exterior looks far surpass any other truck on the road. It is comfortable on long trips.

'00 Dodge Dakota
By Walter

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The Dakota with the 4.7 V8 has ample power to pull a two horse trailer, stock, but with a few minor modifications it puts close to 300 HP to the rear wheels. Be careful though on wet roads with it's light rear axle weight it will easily spin the tires.

Favorite Features

Easy to manuver in traffic, with plenty of passing power.

Suggested Improvements

Could have had better stock rims

Not my idea of a car
By enrique

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

My model of the Dakota has constantly made a grinding sound at high speeds when moving towards the left. Also, it occasionly pulls to the right. The car is pretty nice but mostly the only thing wrong is the gas mileage that it trails. it is horrible. A semi gets better. It doesn't have much horsepower but it does the job. Also, I tried pulling out a tree with small roots and the car had trouble. I believe that my 95 Isuzu Trooper would have been more competent for the task.

Favorite Features

The AC, radio, dashboard, external design and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Lighten the load of the engine making it more effective in the city because that is really what people would buy one for.

Dakota
By william

2000 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck. It's comfortable. It's also the most aggressive looking midsized/mini truck out there. I love it.

Favorite Features

The exhaust, makes it sound almost as aggressive as an 8 (if you have the 3.9)

Dodge Dakota Quad V6 4X4
By Dave

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

The interior is roomy and the rear seats are comfortable. Exterior styling is great and gets a lot of compliments. Performance is fair to poor. 15.5 mpg with A/C, less in winter in 4wd. Transmission performance is poor, shifts very hard when accelerating uphill. The truck seems to bounce down the road. I won't buy another Dodge truck.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling and interior space.

Suggested Improvements

Needs retooled transmission and suspension.