2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews 7

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab SB

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
So Far, So Good
By fastcpa on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

3+ years, 95 mile commute to work, many items hauled and/or towed, and no major problems. Change the oil and go.

Great Design, Poor Quality
By Bob443 on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Love this truck to drive. Looks good handles good, cleans up nice. One big shortfall - the overall maintenance and repair level is high and unacceptable. After owing this vehicle for 44 months I am spending annually about $2000 in repairs while I have spent less than $500 TOTAL for a Honda van of about the same age and mileage. Oil leaks, differential leaks, leaking heater cores, bad air conditioning clutch, heated mirrors have failed etc.... Just too much, it shouldn't be this way!

A very good truck
By Joe Finn on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

this truck is outstanding v8 power people say nice truck I'd buy it again two years 35,000 miles no repairs just tires.

Perfect match
By orionengineer on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

A wonderful truck in every way! Stunning design, well thought out, and a pleasure to drive.

Could be better
By kjfitzia on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

I had a 1997 Dakota Club Cab - should have stuck with it, but wanted the four door. Initial quality low - bad leaf springs, paint missing inside doors. Std Detroit trick of cheaping parts and removing options to keep price in line. SLT+ pkg in 97 came with alarm system, same pkg in 2000 didn't. Did have prb. with limited-slip - fixed under warranty, hasn't come back. Warped rotors at 10k, was told to expect further problems due to poor airflow.

Never Again
By frankli1 on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is probably the worse vehicle I've ever owned!!! The rotors have been replaced 3 times.The steering pump, belt tensioner,water pump,both O2 sensors,coil and an assortment of less serious parts have all been replaced, mostly at my expense. Dodge refused to warranty anything after 36000 miles. I will never again buy a Dodge product no matter how good looking.

No Value
By newpwrsol on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 2dr Extended Cab SB

Even after I said I would never buy an american made veichle I was forced to after the terrible high resale value of a Toyota. I got the truck and have been very impressed with everything but the value. I got the truck just over a year ago for 14,500 and now i am begging someone to take on trade if for 8000.00. This is why I'll never buy american again.

Front end issues
By skibum616 on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Every thing is great but the front end of these trucks. At 89000 miles I had the upper driver side ball joing literally blow apart. The dealership, under my extended warranty, replaced all 4 ball joints on the truck and both upper control arms. After further investigation I found that Dodge Durangos from the years 1996 to 2000 are under investigation by the National Traffic and Highway Safety Administration for this problem. Also, the rotors on these trucks are undersized for the trucks weight. In the 95,000 miles I have had the truck the rotors have been replaced twice and I have replaced the front breaks 3 times.

a
By alec on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Nicest car I have ever driven, and it is used. This had to be the prettiest truck made.

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus Reg Cab
By Nick Mercado on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 2dr Regular Cab SB

4.7 is great, awesome power, great comfort and features, infinity audio system is nice, and it rides nice for a truck, handles good, and quality has been good so far.