Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

A good truck
By bill

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had this truck for a few years now. I bought it with 130,000 miles on it ( I know foolish?) but now with over 290,000 if have had only a few problems with this truck. Mostly expected (power steering pump, alternator, front wheel bearings, and u joint) not too bad for a truck with almost 300,000 miles. It has the 3.9l engine and it still gives me enough power for living in western PA. I am looking to replace it and will look into another Dodge

Favorite Features

I like the looks and the interior is nice if not plush. It does the job

Suggested Improvements

My model is only the 2door and now they have the 4door that is nice,but i do not like the new style they have. I like the older smoother look of the 2000 and not the sharper style of the 2006

Does the job, but not the best
By Mike

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Regular cab is cramped for larger drivers. If you're over 6' and/or 200lbs (I'm both) it's uncomfortable. Ride is nice on smoother roads, very stable at hi speed. Gets very harsh over poorly maintained roads. Handles tight for a truck, but stock braking is not good. I highly recommond upgraded pads/rotors. Fuel economy is so-so, only 1-2mpg better than a V8. V6's power is OK. Will tow anything you ask it to, and pulls hard off the line, but passing power on the highway is a bit weak. Clutch is heavy and "grabby", but strong. Seems I'm one of the few Dakota owners who didn't wind up with a lemon. Rotors warped at 27k, AC relay went at 35k, AC compressor went at 55k, and that's it. 60k trouble-free miles.

Favorite Features

Full size towing/hauling ability. Handles better on dry pavement than any other truck I've driven. Great torque from literally idle to about 2500rpm and decent mid-range. Nice shifter feel

Suggested Improvements

Full-size fuel economy. Cramped interior. Wet/snow handling is horrible. Atrocious ride on rough roads. Stock braking ability is scary-bad. Poor higher-rpm power. It begins "wheezing out" near 4000rpm.By 4500rpm, the party's over.

Great Homeowner's Truck
By RICK

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a great truck for the family who has a home to maintain. With 70k miles, I've replaced tires, front hubs and brakes, battery, and gas cap. Reliable and economical (19-22 avg. MPG). I have a bed liner and cover which have served well. The jump seats are great for young people or short trips as well as letting you lock up purchases. With the V-6 I've never had a power problem with heavy loads. Seats are comfortable for "long trips".

Favorite Features

Seven year old truck that still looks pretty good, drives well and gets better-than-average mileage. Virtually no mechanical problems except that I had to replace hubs due to a bad wheel bearing.

Suggested Improvements

Better quaity control on paint. I'm going to have to have the roof repainted soon as the primer is showing through.

Great Buy
By gwashy

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle for the utility of a truck, but what I got was a vehicle that handles great and has been a great buy for the money. Outside of a recall on the ball joints, I have not had any issues at all. A highly reliable vehicle that handles/performs well and is sporty. The V6 engine has plenty of get up and go and proves to have plenty of torque with a bed full of anything. The interior is comfortable, but can feel a bit "cheap". The interior components tend to move around in the assembled condition and do not fit snugly. Also, the dash features feel hollow and do not give a robust feel. With the interior my only concern, I am quite satisfied and would buy it again anyday.

Favorite Features

Came with a handling package that gave a 3.55 gear ratio and wide, larger tires. Larger Bed for a smaller truck

Suggested Improvements

More robust feel to the interior.

I Like It
By Cypress Driver

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

It's been a great truck. There are times where I wish I had the 4.7 instead of the 5.9, but other than that, I can't complain. The only major problem I've had with it was the transmission went out at around 60K. I took it to Powertrain Development and they told me it was most likely not assembled correctly at the factory because of the way it failed.

Favorite Features

Don't know that there is any one favorite. It's the whole package. Maybe the 4x4 shift lever since this is the only year the QuadCab had it.

Suggested Improvements

Auto headlights, auto A/C