2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Good Looks, Bad Brakes & Gas
By Pmcd on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had Chevy before and Dodge rides rough compared to GM truck. Springs squeak when making sharp turns at low speeds and brakes seem to grab from time to time. Looks great but rides luck a dump truck.

good mix of sports car & truck
By Rich B. on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Excellent truck has the handling, acceleration & still can tow a trailer or haul lumber. 5.9 is just brute torque. No high tech here, just good ol'pushrods. Handles great. Rear axle gets a little upset over stutter bumps. ABS works well but traction control would be a welcome feature when you aren't trying to toss the ass end out while turning. Very comfortable on long rides & good interior ergonomics...

Don't buy one of these(Unless it's mine)
By GasHog on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The best fuel economy I ever saw was 11mpg on the highway on a several state road trip. The EPA claims 17mpg on the highway and a few less for the city. I could expect 7 to _maybe_ 8mpg on an average tank of mixed city/highway driving. This truck is supposed to be performance oriented. It is not very quick considering it has a 360cid engine and gets such lousy fuel economy. If you are in the market for a high performance truck, spend the extra money and buy a Ford Lightning (I don't even like Ford and am suggesting it over my Dodge).

R/T = Real Fast
By kwood69 on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had been waiting for a peformance trunk to come out for a few years, then when Dodge introduced the Dakota RT and it was featured on MotorTrend's TV show I just fell for it. After driving one I finally broke down and bought one in 2000. Since then I've modified the engine and the interior but this truck has been great since day one. I drag race in it, road race in it, and even place it in auto shows.

Great truck after modifications.
By Stoney on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this used with 32,000 miles on it. It's the 2000 Dakota SLT V8 4.7, all time 4x4 w/locking diffs. I like the all-time 4x4 because it grabs around corners, but you loose acceleration when starting from stopped position. This is a good truck as stock. OK power, and looks great. It will get you anywhere. A little costly on the gas. This truck with modifications is great. I changed air intake,put in headers, cat-backs, and a mod-chip, and it's STRONG! Also get 1-2 miles per gallon more, when I'm not flooring it. There's a new magnum V8 HO engine in the Dakotas that puts out more power. I would look into a Dakota with this engine if I was looking to buy.

FRobyne
By FRobyne on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have very good luck with this vehicle. It is reliable and fun to drive. It is actually more comfortable to drive than my car. I have not experienced any mechanical, electrical or structural integrity problems. The only faults of this vehicle are the lack of power and the bad fuel economy of the 3.9 ltr V6 engine.

Nice Truck.....Terrible Gas Guzzzler
By DAKOTA on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport Plus 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought me truck 1 year ago. Except for a few warranty claims for wiper switch and both sway arms in the back going it has been a great truck to drive. I have put 30,000 kms on it (canadian eh) and have had fun doing it. Down fall however has been the gas mileage. I dont drive hard and still get terrible gas mileage????????? I drive a lot of highway now and am seriously considering getting rid of it for better gas mileage...too bad i like the truck.

Unique and Hard To beat
By BestinNaperville on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have had for 3 years. Love this vehicle. There isn't anything much faster on the road for both passing and off the line car or truck. A Viper beat me once. Engine is just now breaking in, so it is even smoother after 3 years. Gas mileage could be better, but SUV's are much worse. Intense Blue will make this a collectors vehicle some day. Was hard to find and very few built this way. Quality is better than I expected. Dealer has taken care of any problems, and is very courteous. Could use a better left foot rest for long drives. 4WD is awesome in snow ! And great in rain.

Best PICK UP around!
By Bobby Mac on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

This vehicle is the absolute most funnest vehicle to drive. It is fast, looks great and performs well in any situation. The insurance is relatively cheap and I don't even mind paying $45- $50 for a tank of gas (Canadian Dollars).

Excellent Truck
By skitch on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Great truck from day one. I've had no problems and have had the truck off- road on several occasions. Like most reviewers, the gas mileage is not the greatest but the 4.7L V8 engine will get up and get you going when it needs to. Creaks in the front suspension on occasion but that's the norm for 4WD vehicles. Highly recommended truck.